Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Southwest

American Southwest

For some strange reason I feel some wanderlust to get away from Vacationland to the desert southwest.

Are there places where I won't melt in the summertime? "Hot" for me is anything above 80f; I could handle low 90's if there's a breeze. I've had layovers through Phoenix and it felt ovenlike with 100+f heat coming in through the gap between the plane and gate. Is it cooler in the hills?

There seems to be much to explore and photograph within hours of Vegas/SLC/Phoenix.

Minimalism, escape, skies, nature, cold war history... Any life changing must visit places? Or upcoming large format photography events? (I kick myself for not jumping quick on the Tonopah temptation a couple years ago)

Re: American Southwest

I'm kinda afraid you are out of luck if you visit in the summer with regards to temperature. Any time but summer and you're golden
    Sorry to be a downer
    Erik

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The best time to visit , IMO, is the period right after Christmas thru January/early February. It's cooler then, zero crowds, motels are priced at around $25/night, campgrounds are vacant (pick your spot), instead of cobalt blue skies there's clouds and drama, no haze ( unless there's a fire). Early winter is the time to do an extended road trip in the southwest. You can't go wrong then and will always come back with a bunch of good images.

Thomas

Octogenarian

Explore the mountain areas around Santa Fe, New Mexico in the summer months.

Ansel did.

Check the average temps over the year for the places you want to go. Phoenix is very different from SLC. At Arches/Moab/Canyonlands area, the best times are mid-April to early May (mid-Oct to mid-Nov is fine too, but the days are longer). In Arizona, probably over the winter. At SLC, probably over the late spring and early fall.
    Peter Y.

How about the desert Northwest (Eastern Washington & Oregon?)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I'd pick the Taos NM area in a heartbeat. The Rio Grande valley especially along the river will be very hot but dry. Taos town will be hot, probably in the 90s' but dry. As you go up into the Sangre de Cristo Mts. it gets cooler and at or above 11,000 ft. you may run into thunderstorms with sleet and temperatures as low as 38 to 45F.

The photographic possibilities are legion. Interesting adobe buildings and missions. Two auto drives will yield some wonderful high country scenes of early spanish influenced structures and minimalist landscapes. The clouds can be breathtaking in summer and fall.

I particularly recommend driving the "high road" from Taos to Santa Fe. It's high altitude so the heat is diminished. The high road goes thru Chimayo, Las Trampas, Truchas (marvelous old mountain top village), and a short side road to Velarde. Another circular drive called the "Enchanted Loupe" is a 90 mile trip thru the towns of Quest, Red River, Eagle Nest and Angel Fire.

On the eastern side of the Sangre Mts. the town of Mora and further NW Ocate are old very interesting Spanish settlements.

Well one could go on with an array of details but search the web for specific destinations and photos. Get a back road atlas for NM. Fly into Albuquerque, rent a car and drive north on interstate 25 to Santa Fe then north along the Rio Grande to Taos.

For lodgings I rent a small house in or near Taos - enough for my wife and I. Check out "Home Away" web site.

Of course you can strike out for two quite spectacular american indian sites; the Acoma Pueblo on top of a high butte west of Albuquerque or Chaco Canyon almost in never never land (see a map). Also near Los Alamos is Bandelier Nat. Monument.
    A ways north of Taos across the CO border is Great Dunes Nat. Park one of my favorite areas for photography. Here is a Great Dunes shot below - day trip from Taos.

35V3-00-27[t2 by hypolimnas, on Flickr

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Thanks for the suggestions! Good stuff to research.

John, I know nothing about the NW desert area but will consider that as well.

Les

Don't forget higher elev spots like Cedar Breaks, Flagstaff, etc.....some will still have some snow...in the outer areas. You can smoulder (110 degree) in PHX and Flag will have 85 degrees.... + spectacular puffy SW clouds. I feel like I gave too much info :>). Ha, Angels Landing (almost 5800') will likely still have ice on the trail....with a 2000' drop next to it(.^.). Agree, NW has its beauty too.

Les

I've always found it comfortable in the summer. Warm days and coolish nights. I wouldn't miss Shiprock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC2147.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	94913 The Dance Floor and Shiprock, 2012.