Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: Adobe is going to only sell subscription based Photoshop

Re: Adobe is going to only sell subscription based Photoshop

I happily enjoy the Adobe LR and PS products. But there is great opportunity for new ways of doing LR/PS types of software right now and that is good.

But these two recent problems (hacking and export rules) will become worse not better. We should anticipate that signing up for something popular like Adobe will mean the database we are then part of will be a big target.

Use different passwords for different sites, don't use actual facts for clues they might ask, "what high school did you graduate from"; don't answer your actual high school or starfleet academy.. Make something unique up and keep it in your notes.

We're seeing a patchwork of encryption laws becoming more important on the Internet. Once the virtual wild west that I loved, it's getting more regulated, and in different ways by different countries. I've seen some companies not release software in the EU because privacy rules are different and take longer to comply with. Proving privacy settings or regulating intellectual property rules is pretty simple compared to what we're going to face on the Internet as encryption gets more regulated. It's integral to cloud managed software. Businesses and humans want it, governments everywhere want to weaken it or regulate it in different ways. It's going to get messier as governments dictate functionality of software and communications on the Internet.

I switched to Capture One and haven’t looked back. They have both a purchase and subscription model.

I was unaware of C! subscriptions, however they don't support Nikon

Even though Nikon seems to use Sony sensors

https://www.captureone.com/en/products

and C! is just as obtuse as Adobe in their variations

I am not switching from Nikon...

A question for C1 users, does C1 accept scans?
    Tin Can

I missed that earlier this morning using my phone

I will look again

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Tin Can

The only reason I still use Photoshop (and Windows) is to use the high quality print drivers for my epson 3880. If I can do color/printer profiling using Linux and Gimp (or other Linux app) I will happily say goodbye to both Photoshop and Windows.

So, I note, in fairness, Adobe has returned service to Venezuela, after making a deal with the US government.

Capture One and Photoshop are not interchangeable. Capture one is predominately a raw processor and robust tethering option. I use it for studio portraits tethered to my Nikon D600. The comparable Adobe product is LIghtroom. When I made my choice, C1 was way better at tethering than Lightroom. Photoshop is more powerful for image adjustments, especially masking and similar, which is only a benefit if that power is needed.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I use C1 with both a Nikon D300s and a D750. Peter is correct that C1 and Photoshop are not interchangeable. It depends on what you need.
    I believe Corel offers a Linux version of PaintShop pro.

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    C1 and Photoshop are not interchangeable. It depends on what you need.
    IMHO it depends on "what you are able to use". "Layers" is the key concept even more than "masks". Single reason to not use Ps or PaintShop is not having learned to use it.

No secret, even a minimally complex edition takes huge advantage from layers and from non destructive operations, every edition action can be reviewed backwards depending on the effect of the following actions, this plays in another league.

Sadly GIMP lacks layers ( correction: has layers since V2.0 but it still lacks Non Destructive edition, planed for future V3.2 ), good choices we have are Ps and Corel PaintShop. With PaintShop we may require a good plugin for sharpening, but this also may be good with Ps.

I find that another key feature for color is 3D LUT Creator.
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 29-Oct-2019 at 05:15. Reason: correction