Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Adobe is going to only sell subscription based Photoshop

Re: Adobe is going to only sell subscription based Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by barnninny View Post
    I'm not sure why the snide tone was introduced, Brian, but you've missed the point. Once you buy a box of film, you never have to pay for it again; you don't have to pay to keep it. You can sock it in a closet and leave it to your grandchildren if you want, but you can also expose it and develop it, and it will still be yours for as long as you want it. You can put it in the enlarger and make as many prints in as many different styles as you want over the course of your life.

If you want to buy more film, then yes, so stupendously obviously that attributing the opposite view to someone can only be an act of bad faith, you'll have to pay for that film. Once. And then it is yours for as long as you want it.

Your comparison to film is the wrong comparison, anyway. The real analog here is the darkroom. Basically, Adobe is removing the ability to own your own darkroom; you can only rent time in one. Maybe that's good, maybe it's bad, but that's the appropriate comparison. Or, even more accurately, they're saying you can no longer buy their darkroom equipment for your darkroom; you can only lease it.
    Sorry if my comment offended you. I guess I was snide because it seemed so silly to tell us that in talking about the economics of film we often overlook the fact that you only have to buy a roll or box once, you don't have to keep buying that roll or box over and over again. I thought and continue to think that that's nonsense. Yes, you only have to buy it once - as long as you don't use it for the purpose for which film is usually bought, i.e. to make photographs. Once that's done you have two choices, give up photography or buy more film . . . and more film . . . and more film.

As to my "comparison to film" being the wrong comparison, I compared them because I was responding to your message that told us we were missing something about the economics of film. You never mentioned the darkroom being the "real analog" (analogy?) so I said nothing about it. But if you insist - I own my darkroom hardware but there are other things I need to pay for and continue paying for in order to use it - i.e. paper and chemicals. Similarly, I own my own digital "darkroom" hardware (computer, scanner, printer) but there's something I need to pay for and continue paying for in order to use it - Photoshop (if I participate in Adobe's CC plan which I actually don't plan to do).

But now I suppose you'll tell me that I'm ignoring the fact that once I buy a batch of paper or chemicals I own them and don't have to pay for them again. Which, like your discussion of film economics, is true only if I don't use the paper and chemicals for the purpose for which they were purchased.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    As to my "comparison to film" being the wrong comparison, I compared them because I was responding to your message that told us we were missing something about the economics of film.
    Oops. It wasn't your analogy. It was David Munson's. My response to him is where you got involved.

Beyond that, it's probably best that we just let this drop. Everything that can be fruitfully said has been said.
    SINAR F+ 4x5 wearing a Fujinon 150/5.6 W

Quote Originally Posted by barnninny View Post
    Oops. It wasn't your analogy. It was David Munson's. My response to him is where you got involved.

Beyond that, it's probably best that we just let this drop. Everything that can be fruitfully said has been said.
    Agreed. And again, sorry if I offended you.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    doesn't mean I'm required to declare it a good idea, or swallow it whole. My main issue is that I can't swallow it whole, even if I wanted to.
    +1
    Though I'm not stupid enough to post on the Internet what I intend to do about it. I'm a terrible consumer anyway, unless you're selling Vodka.

Has Been LF Photographer

This move by Adobe will be watched very closely by other big players. I would think Microsoft would already be thinking of it as a way to get more money out of products such as MS Office.

Widows and Orphans Beware

Adobe is doing this for one reason and one reason only: because it thinks it can make more money this way. In other words, it believes it can squeeze more money out of its customers, i.e., you. Based on pricing I've seen, a subscription is a lot more expensive than buying the product outright, even though you pay in much smaller increments. That's a consolation only to those who can't do math.

I don't use photoshop myself, but if I did, I would probably just use the current version and not upgrade.

Preston Birdwell

Quote Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post
    This move by Adobe will be watched very closely by other big players. I would think Microsoft would already be thinking of it as a way to get more money out of products such as MS Office.
    Deane,

M$ is already doing this with Office 365. You pay an annual fee of $99 for Office 365 Home Premium; 5PCs/Macs plus select devices and ongoing access to updates. Unlike Adoobie's new policy, you can still purchase 'boxed' versions of Office, but you're limited to using it on only a single computer. So, M$ gets you either way.

Grrrr to both Adoobie and M$!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I've quit using MS Office for good - between nauseating perpetual interface changes and Openoffice and Google Docs growing good enough to replace it, there was no point in keeping it even for legacy files. As far as I am concerned, my Adobe products are slowly heading the same way - I certainly won't be upgrading any of them ever again, and probably would not even have done so if they had stuck to their current "upgrade every two versions or pay full" licensing scheme...

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Here's a petition with a different angle:
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ption/TfWzqjHQ

I don't pretend to understand antitrust laws, but this doesn't sound completey beyond reason.

Action required: Your Adobe Creative Cloud membership has been suspended

Hi Randy,

Your Creative Cloud membership will be transitioned to Free at the end of the next billing period because we were unable to bill the credit card on file. Please update your payment information to resume your Paid membership.

Update your payment info ›

Free membership provides you with access to powerful file syncing and sharing features, 2GB of storage space, free levels of Adobe services, and access to 30-day free trials of all CS6 applications and other Adobe desktop applications, such as Adobe Edge Animate and Adobe Muse.

Depending in the number and size of the files in your account, you may need to delete your files to get your cloud storage below your quota. If you leave more files than your allocation on Creative Cloud for more than 90 days, you may lose access to some or all of your files.

If you need help or have any questions, contact Customer Support.

Thanks and enjoy,
    The Adobe Creative Cloud Team
    Tin Can