Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using iphone apps for lightmeter

Question Using iphone apps for lightmeter

Hello everybody. My eversteady Gossen Luna Pro finally gave up. I am unable to find old mercury batteries any more, substitutes were not giving me accurate results. My LF gear is Speed graphics 4x5. Has anybody tried using phone apps for light metering? I do not want to spend anymore money for new meter.

Re: Using iphone apps for lightmeter

Yes.

Lachlan 717

The few times that I've used mine, it's been fine.

Just hard to cut the ties to my [usual] meter...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I was checking these apps out over the weekend. They work, but they are certainly not as accurate as a light meter. I'll stick to my spot meter.
    Peter Y.

I use both, the apps are surprisingly accurate though not as precise as a true spot meter. Certainly good in a pinch but I always carry a tiny Gossen Digi-six as I have a couple of them.

Jeremy D

Yes. That, and a dslr, are the only meters I have ever used with film. It works fine. Remember that film has more latitude than digital, so if it works on digital, it will be fine on film.

I see it as a spare in the event I break or splash my Sekonic 508. A poor backup, but a backup never the less. The problem for me at age 73 is, will I remember that I have it on the phone if I ever need it?

John

I have an app called Pocket Light Meter by Nuwaste studios on my iPhone 4. It's fairly accurate but relegated to backup status behind my spot meter. Some friends said the app was not accurate in their older iPhones. Others with iPhones newer than mine are happy with the app.

I am so insecure, I use Pocket Meter App for iPod 4, a P&S Nikon and Sekonic L758. I find they more or less agree. I also find light meters vary greatly between manufacturers. When I am bored at a coffee shop and everybody is busy with their smart phones. I do like whipping out the iPod and guessing exposure and checking myself with the App. I don't have a cell phone. I really prefer sunny 16 for film outdoors. It worked for me for 40 years with Pentax. So relaxing.
    Tin Can

Also using Pocket Light Meter (iphone 4S), useful as a sanity check to average the scene and cut down on the amount of notes I take. Pretty accurate, 9 times out of 10 spot on, like most digi matrix / average meters can be fooled by some scenes but never been more than 2/3 stop out than I metered manually.