multiplex

Re: Posts and ownership

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    plus one on the real names only

sounds good to me

john

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    ./edt/... In a couple of cases, dissatisfied parties to transactions originated out of the For Sale/Wanted sub-forum have requested that all of their posts and threads be deleted - essentially hiding the transaction problem. ..../edt/

But, we would appreciate member input prior to making the change.
    it seems that very few have caused this action. The result of a Sale gone bad(?)
    Why change the terms of the community, for now and future members, because of some small countable set? Take direct action: delete their posts, their membership, and continue with your day.

Real names (or at least screen names based on real names) and irrevocable license do it for me. I'm not a very frequent contributor (have much more to learn than to teach) but when I post I make sure I can "cmmit" to what I post.

I resent the implication (intended or otherwise) that the use of a "handle" indicates the desire to hide identity. When I began contributing internet forums, the use of a handle was de rigueur, sometimes required. Since everyone else was already using one, I went along to get along, despite my personal views of them. But I always made sure my actual identity (and all that that implies, not only a proper name) was quickly and easily accessed trough links to my site, for anyone who cared enough to take that simple extra step. Now my handle, or some variation thereof, is used wherever and whenever necessary throughout the net, despite the fact that I did change my YouTube channel to my name when recently offered the opportunity. If I have to begin a new account, any and all asshole comments I have made, which I stand by, that no one has read, and that nobody gives a shit about, may no longer be attributed to me . Wait a second, the chance to start over as a proper gentleman, with others of like temperament and accountability? Hmmmm... Could we also make it a requirement that everyone also have a sense of humor?

Many of the problems we have had involve people who use their real names, and some of our most even-keeled contributors use aliases. I really don't think that the real name enforces civility as strongly as it seems to some.

But neither do I think there is any need to find resentment in the suggestion. People being prepared to live with their words is a requirement of civil discourse in any setting. In any case, that isn't under consideration, so no need to pursue it.

Rick "his real name" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Hmmmm... Could we also make it a requirement that everyone also have a sense of humor?
    Who might we start with?

And whose standard of humor would we enforce?

Rick "who, as a mod, herewith requires everyone to laugh at his jokes" Denney

Do or do not. There is no try.

I'm in favor of changing the terms of use to "irrevocable". I think it very sensible as proposed.

Good, do you have any idea how many Pro photographers have my name?

All I know is one let the domain lapse and I finally got it.

There are 20 Randy Moe's on Linkedin and al least 3 deceased. So much to do, so little time.

I will try to be funny and polite.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Many of the problems we have had involve people who use their real names, and some of our most even-keeled contributors use aliases. I really don't think that the real name enforces civility as strongly as it seems to some.

But neither do I think there is any need to find resentment in the suggestion. People being prepared to live with their words is a requirement of civil discourse in any setting. In any case, that isn't under consideration, so no need to pursue it.

Rick "his real name" Denney
    Tin Can

When I became a member, I chose a pseudonym simply because I didn't know much about the group and it seemed wise to be cautious. I've seen criticism about this and attempted to change it but have not found the way to do it, but am willing if it can be done. Having said that, I would say that it seems more questionable to me for people to offer a lot of opinions without posting their own work or linking their website. I would make a requirement that there be at least one posted image for every five opinion posts if I were the boss...
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    When I became a member, I chose a pseudonym simply because I didn't know much about the group and it seemed wise to be cautious. I've seen criticism about this and attempted to change it but have not found the way to do it, but am willing if it can be done. Having said that, I would say that it seems more questionable to me for people to offer a lot of opinions without posting their own work or linking their website. I would make a requirement that there be at least one posted image for every five opinion posts if I were the boss...
    As Rick said, pseudonyms are OK, and we have no plans to change that policy. If you want to change your user ID, just use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of each page to reach the moderators, and we can do that for you.