Thread: what about philips 19" monitors. Need advices.

what about philips 19" monitors. Need advices.

Hi,

after I receive your advices about monitors good for image editing, I searched the offer and I found a monitor made by philips wich is the best option for me. It is about philips 109 P 40 briliance monitor (19 inch crt monitor)=(400$). Sony multiscan is very expensive (more than 600$), and Lacie electron blue IV haven`t arive the market from my region, so I am wiling to buy the philips model. For that matter, I want your advices about this model, comparing with sony and lacie. I see that this monitor have a particular feature - "auto calibrate" and I don`t know what this means. Also I wonder if this auto calibrate feature is of a real benefit, or could be an impediment in some situations. I mean when I want to manualy set the color balance for a particular need, would it be possible, or I am limited to the automatic calibration ? I found very few information about this monitor on the internet, and for this reason I ask for your help, if you have any experience or knowledge regarding this monitor Here is the complete info I could find about philips 109 P40: You can find it at: http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cachegOGjbOq-rUJ:www.kosmos.ch/preisliste/Monitorpreisli ste/crt.pdf+philips+109+p40+features&hl=en

Target group - Brilliance/ Type no. - 109 P40/ Screen size - 19”/ VIS (Viewable Image Size) - 18.0”/ Recommended screen area - 355x265/ Dot/horizontal pitch (mm) - 0.24/ Display type - AG Real Flat/ ICE technology/Auto Calibrate - •/•/ LightFrame™ - no/ Horizontal freq (kHz) - 30-111/ Vertical freq (Hz) - 50-160/ Video dot rate (mHz) - 261/ Max resolution - 1920x1440/ Recommended max resolution - 1280x1024/ Refresh rate at max res. (Hz) - 74/ Refresh rate at recom.max.res. (Hz) - 104/ Tilt/swivel - •/• •/•/ USB Bay/USB Hub (option) - (USB Hub) / Video connection - D-Sub/BNC/ Built in stereo (option) - no/ Speakers (option) - no/ Emission standard - TCO'99/ Monitor dimension WxHxD (mm) - 456x469x438/ Monitor weight (kg) - 23.5/ Main application - High-end & Business/

As an alternative, I found on the second hand market the lacie electron blue III, but I receive from you advices about lacie IV. What about the diferences between these 2 modells: lacie III and lacie IV ?.

Thank you very much for answers.

Specifications are usually suspect - I'd go with reputation - the LaCie's have an excellent track record.

Have you seen the monitor ? It's much better, when it comes to this sort of thing, to visit a store which displays several of them side-by-side.

CRT monitors fade over time, so I'd check any second hand models with something like the optical puck to make sure you can get it up to spec

You might want to ask these people for their advice, either by email or telephone. They're very nice, very helpful, and they know the subject:

Chromix.com

ColorVision.com

InkjetArt.com

I believe that the LaCie model can be purchased from BH Photovideo.