Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 11x14 or 8x10 Field Camera

Re: 11x14 or 8x10 Field Camera

Buy a Chamonix..

The Italian company Durst makes some of the best enlargers in the world. They should be easier to find in the EU than here. I have a model 138, a 5x7 enlarger that was converted to 8x10 with a cold light head. Durst also makes standard 8x10 enlargers. As mentioned before they take a lot of space and a high ceiling. I believe full extension is about 9.5 feet. You need to check that figure if interested.

Another route I have chosen and mention for your thought, is field cameras in 8x10 and 7x17. They present two very interesting ways of looking at things. I regularly shoot landscape in 7x17 with a friend who has an 8x10. We are interested in the same subjects but arrive at very different images. One is not better than the other. They are both very interesting. Occasionally my friend will shoot 4x10 and enlarge to 8x20. They just don’t look as good to me. Shooting 4x10 on an 8x10 camera drastically limits your movement possibilities.

The Chamonix is based on the RH Phillips cameras, which I use. I am very much in favor of that design. The design is light, very ridged and strong. Chamonix sells film holders for their cameras in all formats.

Enjoy what ever you chose to do. Everything mentioned so far is good. It is just a matter of what will give you the most benefit.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    ...Shooting 4x10 on an 8x10 camera drastically limits your movement possibilities...
    John
    Interesting. I put two 4x10 images of a single sheet of 8x10 film and rarely experience any limitations in the use of camera movements. I raise or lower the front standard to center the lens on the 4x10 image and I am good to go with all movements. Excellent and easy to use for verticals, too.

The exception is when I use a 159mm lens. My Zone VI has 26" of bellows and asking them to squish up to 6 inches is a bit much when it comes to movements.

I still need to get off my butt and modify an 11x14 darkslide to make two 5x14 images on a single sheet of 11x14. Not as big as the 7x17, but pretty close...and just a touch skinnier rectangle.

Get an 8x10. More film is available for that format, as well as film holders. If you want to make bigger carbon transfer prints, and since you already have the V750, you can go with digital negatives... if you have a decent inkjet printer. That's what I do. I've made 14x17 carbon prints from x-ray negatives and from digital negatives of the same size. I wouldn't go bigger than that, as I do not have the space. As mdm points out it is more work and the failure rate can be high, but if you work hard it and pay attention to details, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Vinnedge View Post
    I am planning to buy their 16x20 camera with a 14x17 reducing back as soon as I have the funds.
    If I were to ever go larger than 4x5 and it is highly doubtful that I would considering where I like to take a camera, I too would get their 16x20 and contact print. I did the math one day and figured about 10K-12K would get me started with the camera, a lens or two, a few holders and some ULF film to start with and a slick contact printer. Surprisingly, the cost to go full bore to 20x24 is not that much more at least in terms of the camera and holders.....man, those would be incredible contact prints! I have 12 of their 4x5 holders and they are truly light and very nicely made.

Maybe one day.

I agree with 'Chrome: 16x20. And his math is about right.

A mounted B&W print 14x17 and larger can be something to behold!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Interesting. I put two 4x10 images of a single sheet of 8x10 film and rarely experience any limitations in the use of camera movements. I raise or lower the front standard to center the lens on the 4x10 image and I am good to go with all movements. Excellent and easy to use for verticals, too.

The exception is when I use a 159mm lens. My Zone VI has 26" of bellows and asking them to squish up to 6 inches is a bit much when it comes to movements.

I still need to get off my butt and modify an 11x14 darkslide to make two 5x14 images on a single sheet of 11x14. Not as big as the 7x17, but pretty close...and just a touch skinnier rectangle.
    I do the same with a Ritter, bag bellows and reversed rails to get the front standard closer to the back. No movement restrictions and the camera can still fold up in this configuration....

/Frank

6 used 11x14 film holders at $200 each cost as much as a used 8x10 Deardorff ($1200)
    6 used 8x10 film holders at $30 each cost less than one used 11x14 film holder.
    Shooting 8x10 just makes more sense for me, (as if anything in LF actually makes sense) but if you've got the means to shoot 11x14, go for it! The contacts should be outstanding!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

How mobile do you need to be? There's quite a difference between toting around a lightwt field 8x10 and the typical ULF
    system. How far do you like to get from the car or a paved street?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    ....Shooting 8x10 just makes more sense for me, (as if anything in LF actually makes sense) ....
    Perhaps an explanation for the name of "Midwest Large Format Asylum."
    There are only 580 nutcase members including many of us on the LF Forum.

John