Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frustrated exposing prints in sunlight...grrr!

frustrated exposing prints in sunlight...grrr!

Good morning,
    I got all set up to do some pt/pd this morning, full- bright sun clear sky low humidity. In other words perfect. But then I bring a sheet out and that perfect sun was gone. Clouds seemingly from nowhere came in and I was sunk...again. I need to acquire/ build a printer. I have found plans online for a printer you can make with 8 18" t12 fluorescent tubes using black lights tubes, but I have not been able to source the materials cost effectively. What I am wondering, is what do you guys use. Is it best to go ahead and bite the bullet and get a printer from B&S or is there an updated plan using maybe a four-light fixture. Any input would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I will scour the DIY forum etc. Thanks, and have great days.
    Robert Cooper
    rscphoto.net
    Savannah, GA
    912-656-6735

Re: frustrated exposing prints in sunlight...grrr!

Lots of possibilities.

You might find plug in and go sets at the Big Box hardware stores -- such as Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2020244...7#.UXS-QoJGR_k

Those are BLB tubes (and fixtures). They have a filter built in to block most of the visible light and let just the UV through. BL tubes are a little cheaper (they do not have the filter) and actually seem a little faster. If you make a system from scratch, they are what one usually gets.

BL tubes are faster than BLB.
    Try "The Bulbman" for tubes. Even easier is the use of CFL-UV bulbs. The total cost of building a unit is reduced and made simpler since no ballasts need to be installed. These are also available from the Bulbman and similar sources. If you are printing 4x5, one CFL is sufficient. For 8x10 negatives, one will suffice also if moved a little further away from the printing frame, but most of my students have used four bulbs.

A few months ago I finished a very basic UV exposure box for under $200 total. It uses a 6 bulb 32w T8 fixture. The fixture is 48 inches by 20 inches, and I can do up to 2 16x20 prints at one time. Estimating initial height of 7 to 8 inches, to even out the light. The bulbs are separated by about 2 inches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250101_10151139441644780_367918307_n.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	93802
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Unless you live in parts of the southwest where the sun is reliable source of UV light it is best to invest in a good UV printer for alternative printing, especially pt/pd where the materials cost are so great.

Requirements for screen printing and alternative printing are similar. A good source for UV light sources is Ryonet, http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com...FUTd4Aod2FAApw

Another good type of printer for alternative work is the platemaker type units of NuArc 261k, 261ks, Amergraph UL28, UlF-28, etc. These units use powerful HID lamps and usually come with built in vacuum and light integrator. You might be able to find a used unit on Ebay or Craigslist.

If you want to built a unit with a bank of BL tubes just do a search on built screenprinting light. There are many youtube videos on how to make your own.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

I used this http://www.reptilesupply.com/product...oducts_id=2184 for my Platinum printing demontration workshop. Exposure time about 10 min at 2-3 ft for an 8x10 neg . You can go to local PetSmart to get one. UVA & UVB needed for this kind of printing.

Printing companies are always going out of business. Many of them have platemakers you can pick up for a very small amount... These usually have vacuum frames built into them, exposure controls and come in sizes from small to 48 inches or so. There's a bunch on evilbay right now with starting bids from $199-$225. You can also ask a local printer where to get such things. I used one of these for many years doing platinum and will likely do so again very soon...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Sandy, What would your thoughts be on this unit?

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/RXP2024

You can also use electronic flash to print...
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Schultz View Post
    Sandy, What would your thoughts be on this unit?

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/RXP2024
    I'm not Sandy but you don't need anything that costs $400. For my gum and Vandyke printing I built a simple plywood box open on the two long sides and installed normal "under the counter" florescent lights - I think a bank of 8. Cost maybe $50-$75 and I'm not at all handy so if I could do it anyone can.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.