Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ilex Acuton f4.8 215mm (8.5in)

Re: Ilex Acuton f4.8 215mm (8.5in)

I think there's a similar thing for the Mamiya Press that might also suit. the problem however is getting it to fit on the Century, as mark explains, it's physically too big, sadly.

She arrived today and I can confirm, the rear cell is too big to fit inside the front of the Century 23. The good news however is the lens and shutter are both like new, I see no signs of use at all. When I think what I paid for it and what I'd have to pay for a Symmar 210 in Compur or Copal in the same condition and I have to grin like a Cheshire Cat. I paid less than 10% of the German/Japanese cost, so I suppose it's not a bad thing that people in the UK don't respect Ilex gear.

Um, er, ah, is the rear cell too fat to pass through the Century's lens throat or through the gate? If it will pass through the gate the lens can be mounted on the camera.

Not that that would add to its utility. You really need a 2x3 Speed Graphic, preferably a Pacemaker.

It is too fat to pass through the throat so you couldn't even mount it by screwing the rear cell in from the back of the camera.

What do I need a Pacemaker for? The Focal plane shutter? I sold my Speed because it had a spring back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Greenhalgh View Post
    It is too fat to pass through the throat so you couldn't even mount it by screwing the rear cell in from the back of the camera.

What do I need a Pacemaker for? The Focal plane shutter? I sold my Speed because it had a spring back.
    You don't understand. Unscrew the rear cell from the back of the shutter, attach shutter and board to the front standard, screw the rear cell back into the shutter from the rear. For this to work, the rear cell has to pass through the gate at the back of the camera and has to be small enough to be pushed, possibly in contact with the bellows, to the rear of the shutter. I go through these fiddly contortions to mount 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon, 58/5.6 Grandagon, and 80/2.8 Planar on my Graphics. The front standard's lens throat isn't involved with any of this.

The lens is a lost cause on your Century, which is too short to be able to use it. If the lens' rear cell is threaded for filters you might be able to rig a couple of filter step rings (the key word here is step) to fasten it to an appropriately bored board. I did this to try out my 210/5.6 Zircon.

You need a Pacemaker Speed for the extension, a Pacemaker Speed instead of a Miniature Speed Graphic because the shutter material is better and because 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphics with Graflok backs are much more common than Mini Speeds with Graflok backs.

I understand Dan, the rear cell is too large to attach even that way, that's what I was trying to say, it's won't fit at all.

BTW, does the Planar 2.8/80 cover the full 6x9 frame?

All Graflex are rare as he's teeth here, and the new approach to customs fees makes importing anything impractically costly now. I just got a Mamiya lens from Japan, the customs fees were the same price as the lens itself so just imagine how much HMRC would scalp me for on a camera.