Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 x 8 Developing Tank?

5 x 8 Developing Tank?

I have a 5x8 Chamonix view camera which I love to use. Everything is right about it EXCEPT what a pain it is to process B&W negatives. As I see it I can either use the huge Jobo Expert tanks that are really made for 8x10, or tray process. Does anyone know if the Jobo 3006 will work with 5x8" film, or is there some other tank out there that I haven't found? Ideas?

Ed Shotwell
    edward@crgdirectories.com

Octogenarian

Re: 5 x 8 Developing Tank?

A set of 8x10 trays, and learn all you can about tray development. Takes practice.

AFIK, there are no film hangers for processing the 5x8 format.

You'll need to devise a dark room in which to do film processing.

Hi !
    I'm using 8x10 Ilford Cibachrome drums for all my formats - 5x7, WP and 8x10 all the time.
    Right now I'm trying to mod one Ciba drum to fit two 5x7 sheets, hope it will work.
    Best wishes,
    Igor.

Ed,
    I would think about using 8x10 tanks and hangers. All you would need to figure out is something to clip the film in place at the top--maybe a piece of stainless steel wire that you could run through the drainage holes along with a couple of SS clips?

The 3006 will not take a 5X8 sheet - but as noted above - the 3010 will take 5 sheets of 5X8 per run.

Hi Ed,

I have always to shoot 5x8, it looks like a great format.
    As Koh mentioned, the 3005 would be the best bet. Until you find one and get up and running, I would test the following as a "hold over".

I bet you could hanger process 2 sheets in a 2 up 5x7/8x10 holder in one gallon tanks.
    You would have to be very careful as you could not lock the up bar in place to hold the top side of the sheet as it would stick up by an inch.
    Agitation would require more care and attention than typical 5x7 sheets. And it would require more soup in the tank than for 5x7.
    You may even want to test removing the top hinge all together and just placing your fingers on the top of the film when lifting.

I lifted this picture from e bay just to be clear about the holders.
    I don't know this is great in the long term, but it may take time to find a 3005 and get up and running.

Good luck,

Allen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails $(KGrHqNHJCsFBr7cthzwBQm-qPtyog~~60_3.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by eshotwell View Post
    I have a 5x8 Chamonix view camera which I love to use. Everything is right about it EXCEPT what a pain it is to process B&W negatives. As I see it I can either use the huge Jobo Expert tanks that are really made for 8x10, or tray process. Does anyone know if the Jobo 3006 will work with 5x8" film, or is there some other tank out there that I haven't found? Ideas?

Ed Shotwell
    edward@crgdirectories.com
    Paterson Orbital Processor will take two sheets of 5x8.

RR

Make a "slosher tray" or get IR night vision headset to use when tray processing.

Fred Newman from the View Camera Store has a YouTube video showing the processing of 5x7 in the 8x10 BTZS tubes so 5x8 should be no problem. You could also make your own tubes. Recently made some tubes for 5x7 and they work very well, they would just need to be an inch longer. These use 125ml of developer but you can make to accommodate more developer if desired. I did have to search a bit to find end caps that were flat on the ends as it is nice if the tubes and caps will stand up on end. I used Genova Products #80152 2" caps which are pretty easy to find online.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Hi Ed,

I use a Paterson roll-film daylight tank for my 5 x 7. That might work for your 5 x 8 also. I take out the reels and leave in the center core to keep light-tight. Yes, it's one sheet at a time but I have no development irregularities, no scratches, etc. Worth it to me for all the time and effort required when shooting large format. I am not going to take any shortcuts when developing. And, you can process outside of a darkroom.

Good luck!