Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY mounting station for drum scanner... anyone?

Re: DIY mounting station for drum scanner... anyone?

... one more:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDIM0693.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	102228

Quote Originally Posted by mob81 View Post
    I'll post one (scanmate drum mount station) on the classified soon...I bought it few month back but never opened!
    ... where are you located? those things are big and heavy and probably don't want international shipping

btw, If anyone want pdf/cad drawing, I can upload it

The foam insulation doesn't distort when applying adequate pressure on the mounted film? I'm curious why you wouldn't go with a hard rubber roller like the oem stations I've seen.

Saratoga, CA

The reason I said the metal ring should be on the right is because of the direction the drum spins. It will work both ways but mounting with the metal ring on the right the leading edge will be leading not following. :-)
    Mr.Gale

P.S. If you haven't seen it, I do have a video on wet mounting using a ScanMate drum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCHS5yiF4Mc

@ Vinny: I would have gone for a rubber roller if I could get one for a reasonable amount of money - haven't yet found a place selling rubber pressure rollers that I could readily use. Having one custom made in Denmark is expensive. I looked into spare parts for office printers (rubber rollers), but I could not find one matching the length plus the have odd end joints. But please guide me if you know something! The foam does distort - but that seems to a 'good' thing, since it sort of eliminates the not perfectly precise alignment.

all in all, I have to try wet mounting some more times before I can tell, whether this system will work in the long run

@ bob, I see... or I think I see - this way, I mount the drum 'backwards'?

Quote Originally Posted by mortensen View Post
    ... where are you located? those things are big and heavy and probably don't want international shipping
    I'm in Saudi Arabia! I received it from the US and shipping was not that expensive! And I haven't opened it yet! I hope it's fine though
    Anyway, I'm still thinking as I might purchase a scanmate from ABC of Denmark after I have a space for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mob81 View Post
    I'm in Saudi Arabia! I received it from the US and shipping was not that expensive! And I haven't opened it yet! I hope it's fine though
    Anyway, I'm still thinking as I might purchase a scanmate from ABC of Denmark after I have a space for it.
    ... please tell me when you list it (if you do). Could I persuade you to tell me where you bought it?

Quote Originally Posted by mortensen View Post
    ... please tell me when you list it (if you do). Could I persuade you to tell me where you bought it?
    It was listed on ebay. I still don't know if it is the real deal or just a box full of crap

I bought it after ABC of Denmark told me they don't have one and it was difficult to find one. Then, I decided to postpone for unknown time.

I still can't decide how much will I sell it for! I don't know it's value know and I don't remember how much it cost me when I bought it

Any tips would be appreciated on how much would it usually go for

... I guess I owe to tell you that - despite its numerous imperfections - I can routinely wet-mount 4 pieces of 4x5 film on this mounting station. It is not a pleasure, but it works. Still interested in the real thing, though.
    Happy holidays, people!