Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glue For Bellows

Re: Glue For Bellows

Hi everyone! Thank you all for your responses. I've done some more research and it seems like contact cement is the way to go; Plio-Bond being a brand of contact cement. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Drew Wiley

Gosh, some of you guys are sure trying hard to ruin your camera! What you want is Barge Cement, the same thing shoe
    repairmen use for leather and rubber. It remains pliable under a wide variety of conditions. It is used like a contact cement,
    as is it's wimpy second cousin, Plio-Bond. But don't use regular contact cement or some goofy construction adhesive that goes brittle in a matter of weeks.

Drew, this is why we are asking. Installing new bellows is not cheap and the first time for me will be nerve wracking. The wrong goo, can ruin a week, not just a day.

I would love even more tips, on how to exactly do it. I have several cameras that need bellows. I even have the replacement bellows, but until I am confident in glue and procedure they will wait.

I have worked with all kinds of contact cement and I never liked any of them. 3M Weather strip adhesive is pretty strong, but, I never trust it. I replaced aa unreplaceable window in my van with a homemade lexan window and fastened it in place with double sided 3M Weather strip TAPE, and that stuff is really sticky, but I doubt it is the first choice of anyone for bellows.

I am amazed at the job, someone did replacing bellows on cameras, I know do not have original bellows. No trace of the sticky glue and those bellows are stuck very well.

I am sure I am not the only one that is awaiting advice. As we all know there are few camera shops doing this repair anywhere in the world.

Thanks for the tip on Barge Cement, non-drying would be a good feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Gosh, some of you guys are sure trying hard to ruin your camera! What you want is Barge Cement, the same thing shoe
    repairmen use for leather and rubber. It remains pliable under a wide variety of conditions. It is used like a contact cement,
    as is it's wimpy second cousin, Plio-Bond. But don't use regular contact cement or some goofy construction adhesive that goes brittle in a matter of weeks.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Randy - 3M makes so many different products that it's bewildering. The problem is finding them, or even navigating their
    hopelessly convoluted website. Products are distributed thru multiple divisions which don't speak to each other; and there are
    some remarkable adhesives in tech divisions which you simply won't find in any home center or hardware store, not will you
    find anyone at 3M able to answer questions. I do 100K per yr with them here, and told them I could triple that business if
    anyone could help us navigate the product maze. Even that kind of money didn't get their interest, and I eventually gave up on them. But good ole Barge Cement it tried and true, and readily available. Read the instructions and follow them. I've only
    repaired bellows, never made em. But I have ordered custom bellows from some outfit in Florida with satisfaction.

I even have a tube of Barge, but never used it yet on Mission Critical jobs.

Thanks!

Randy - 3M makes so many different products that it's bewildering. The problem is finding them, or even navigating their
    hopelessly convoluted website. Products are distributed thru multiple divisions which don't speak to each other; and there are
    some remarkable adhesives in tech divisions which you simply won't find in any home center or hardware store, not will you
    find anyone at 3M able to answer questions. I do 100K per yr with them here, and told them I could triple that business if
    anyone could help us navigate the product maze. Even that kind of money didn't get their interest, and I eventually gave up on them. But good ole Barge Cement it tried and true, and readily available. Read the instructions and follow them. I've only
    repaired bellows, never made em. But I have ordered custom bellows from some outfit in Florida with satisfaction.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Always test on something of less value first, regardless ...

That's what all contact/impact adhesives (cements) are designed to do (well the ones I've come across).

Ian

Of course. Some people think all I do is test...But I have worked in Chem and Material test labs all my life. Testing becomes a habit. I will test some Barge today and check it for 30 days at least.

Always test on something of less value first, regardless ...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Is there more than type, a quick search, showed some low VOC, that can't be any good right?

How about this. http://www.amazon.com/W-J-Ruscoe-P61...d_sim_sbs_lg_1
    That's the stuff!
    But I'm not sure what VOC means.

VOC means Volatile Organic Compounds, the poisonous stinky solvents that make it work good.

For MY bellows I would chose high VOC and use it under a vent hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    That's the stuff!
    But I'm not sure what VOC means.
    Tin Can