Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glue For Bellows

Re: Glue For Bellows

Ha!, you are as bad as me, any excuse to add a tool or resource.

Last time I knocked some 30 year old wall base off cement, it was hard and dry. Really not a good test for bellows. I will pick some up soon also.

Lowes is far, Home Depot and Menards much closer. Maybe I should check Grainger for truly industrial strength. They are actually closest, they love to give me funny looks when I 'will call' a $5.00 gizmo.

I had a Calumet C1 fully stretched for a week, and was amazed the bellows did not loosen. Glue testing before sale...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    Lowes online lists several products that are referred to as Universal Flooring Adhesives. If it is a non-solvent and water clean-up type, then I'll bet its the same type. The product listed as "Wall Base" adhesive might be the same stuff in a smaller tube package. If I see some, I'll pick it up to do a comparison.
    Tin Can

Years ago I glued a new bellows following manufacturer`s recomendation; it was contact glue, neoprene based, the one used by shoemakers. Probably the easiest to find glue in any place.
    Never have had a problem in this years, hot and cold weather, it looks like the first day.

A shoe glue is a good tip to follow up on (Shoe-Goo?). They are amazingly strong and flexible. The super glue idea is not entirely uninformed as it bonds well to both metal and fabric . It does dry hard (like many glues) but since the aluminum is somewhat "crispy" as well, that did not seem an issue. You would want to apply it accurately to make sure it goes only on the point of contact with the metal though. BTW, JJLouis, how many inches or millimeters do you have to repair?

I did a check at Lowes this morn, and the adhesive labeled as "Wall Base" adhesive is definitely "NOT" the same material as the wood flooring adhesive I use. But, that doesn't mean it wouldn't work. I noticed a dried example, and it has the consistency of dried epoxy.
    "Photography is a marvelous discovery, a science that has attracted the greatest intellects, an art that excites the most astute minds — and one that can be practiced by any imbecile." – Nadar, 1856

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    I did a check at Lowes this morn, and the adhesive labeled as "Wall Base" adhesive is definitely "NOT" the same material as the wood flooring adhesive I use. But, that doesn't mean it wouldn't work. I noticed a dried example, and it has the consistency of dried epoxy.
    Tin Can

Contact cement worked well for me when I was building my bellows.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Contact cement worked well for me when I was building my bellows.
    Contact adhesive is the correct glue, it's also known as Impact adhesive and the word cement used instead of adhesive in some parts of the world.

A big differance is some are water based and others solvent based but once dry have similar strengths. There's a move away from solvent based adhesives because of abuse by solvent sniffers

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    A big differance is some are water based and others solvent based but once dry have similar strengths. There's a move away from solvent based adhesives because of abuse by solvent sniffers

Ian
    The sniffers are probably what caused Krylon to discontinue the old Ultra Flat Black spray paint.
    Anyone who's ever used the old formula knows what I'm talking about.

Plio-bond is the bee's knees.
    I used for a couple of Technika bellow repairs, and it works perfectly.

Is there more than type, a quick search, showed some low VOC, that can't be any good right?

How about this. http://www.amazon.com/W-J-Ruscoe-P61...d_sim_sbs_lg_1

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Plio-bond is the bee's knees.
    I used for a couple of Technika bellow repairs, and it works perfectly.
    Tin Can