Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dating Derogy lens

Re: Dating Derogy lens

Don't forget at this period, most part of early opticians in Paris were located Quai de l'Horloge (Chevalier, Wallet, Derogy, Lerebours etc.. ) and often at the same adresses: 31, 33, 65, 67, 69, 71, 77, 77bis Quai de l'Horloge.
    At first Chevalier was located at 31 and 33 Quai de l'Horloge, and later Wallet & Derogy, and Hermagis etc...

Numbers from 45 to 77bis disappeared later when the "Square du Vert Galant" was built at this place due to the regular Seine flood. Just behind the great "Statue Equestre du Roi Henri IV".

And It is perhaps at the foot of the statue of Henry IV that the first photograph of a human being was taken. Indeed, the daguerreotype (7.2 x 10 cm) of the Pont-Neuf by Daguerre and Fordos, kept at the "Museum des Arts et Metiers", which shows in its lower part the image of two reclining people (perhaps loaded workers maintenance of the statue) seems to have been carried out during the summer of 1837 (taking into account the foliage of the trees). This photo would therefore be prior to the famous photo of Boulevard du Temple with the shoe shiner.

Just saw this one come by...nr. 11303......it has just been sold: https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Obj-DEROGY-P...E/274377599055
    note that Paris is a bit oddly engraved..and the engraving is a bit rough compared to other lenses I've seen

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I don’t believe the Pont sequence - with 10,000 being about 1860. The patent Foyers Multiples did sell well, but a sale of 6,000 from 1858 - 1860 doesn’t seem realistic.
    It would be interesting to create a table showing comparative serial numbers/date/manufacturer if for no other reason than to understand just how large the market was for lenses in the early years of photography and therefore the potential production of some lenses at least.

As examples:
    Ross from around 1840 was up to somewhere between 6-12,000 by the mid-1860s
    Dallmeyer who started on his own in 1860 was up to a serial number of ~11,000 by the end of 1865
    but these are of total production of photographic lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Just saw this one come by...nr. 11303......it has just been sold: https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Obj-DEROGY-P...E/274377599055
    note that Paris is a bit oddly engraved..and the engraving is a bit rough compared to other lenses I've seen

There is a lot of variation in Derogy engravings - text, language and depth of engraving.
    I have checked the “le Reve edition” booklet for a similar engraving, without success! But my post #3 shows a photo that has a good approximation to the recent eBay one, as well as the “odd” copperplate flourish at the end of “Paris”!

Here is a better image from the d’Agostini book.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205CEADF-713B-4B8E-8EBC-47FDA2C23F49.jpg  

This lens was negotiated by me after the autumn auction of flints auction.
    The number is not found at the edge of the glass and element rings where it should normally be.

This is not a problem - actually, it is quite surprising that so many DO have the markings after so many years!

My RR Derogy has number 13475 and the inscriptions are on the left of the lens when you face the camera.
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Grunchec View Post
    My RR Derogy has number 13475 and the inscriptions are on the left of the lens when you face the camera.
    That must be a very early RR ....any picture of the lens?

My Flickr

...just seen this one...seems in beautiful shape:

My Flickr

I have discovered a Derogy lens series which shouldn’t exist!

Most of this thread deals with the start of Derogy and the early models. The traditional demise of Derogy is given as just after WW1 - going up to around 45,000 in serial number.

Pont and Princelle mention something about various activities of the remainder parts of the company after production was halted - but nothing about further lens production.

I have seen and purchased 2 Derogy engraved lenses with serial numbers in the 60,000’s and 70,000’s. Barrel engraving has been abandoned, but the traditional crown has been retained in miniature! The lens series an “anstigmat symmetrical” F6 - looking very similar to the Duplouich Verax.

I also found two earlier listed Derogy lenses from the same seller, but slightly slower F6.8 and with serial numbers in the 45,000’s (the last photo).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5BDCA69E-0E29-44C4-905D-92A6D00268EC.jpg   4A034BBB-CD7A-4243-97B3-04318B8EF131.jpg   B2A2D5AA-2B18-4305-96D1-1481DF4E0BBB.jpg   79EC72B1-0605-4910-B6F8-BDE5AE222619.jpg