Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Threading Stainless Steel Shafts

Re: Threading Stainless Steel Shafts

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Curt, the few times I have threaded stainless steel I purchased high speed steel taps and dies. I had no success with non high speed steel. Also Scott Walkers advice on starting the die square echoes my experience. For one project that required 4 inches of thread on 5/16" rod I had to have a friend with a Lathe help me out. I just couldn't get the die started squarely enough be hand.

Btw when are we going to see photographs of you project?

Roger
    Hi Roger!

I know about getting the die started. I actually thought I could just do it like brass. Boy was I wrong. The preliminary setup is so important with SS and the lubricant. I used a steel thread cutting lubricant in a tin can like three in one oil. I need to get the right one. I'll go to a screw and bolt company tomorrow.

The reason I didn't get a metal lathe was the length of time it would take to learn thread cutting. There are too many ways to get sidetracked! I do believe in the right tools. It would have to go in the space where my 24" thickness sander is located. Never enough room.

What did Michelangelo Buonarroti say to Pope Julius II when the Pope asked when it would be done? "When I'm finished". Actually I put a photo of some materials and a film holder on Facebook. I've been too busy to hang out there recently. Like Steve Smith said: CAD / CAM, computer router. I'm learning a 3D software and designing the braces, brackets, and other parts in stainless steel. It's taking all my design, materials science, mechanics, machine capabilities, and CAD skills to make it work. At first I had some awful 3D views. I would rotate and a section would be missing or way too long or disconnected completely. I'm back on the learning curve again. It gets easier with practice. .387 actually looks like something now. Holes are void to the proper depth. Empty inside. One design error and a fifty dollar part is four hundred and fifty. It's good for the mind though. This is a lot like construction work. Nothing seems to be getting done then all of a sudden it finished.

I hope they let you do this at work.

We used to call it a government job.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Hi Roger!

I know about getting the die started. I actually thought I could just do it like brass. Boy was I wrong. The preliminary setup is so important with SS and the lubricant. I used a steel thread cutting lubricant in a tin can like three in one oil. I need to get the right one. I'll go to a screw and bolt company tomorrow.

The reason I didn't get a metal lathe was the length of time it would take to learn thread cutting. There are too many ways to get sidetracked! I do believe in the right tools. It would have to go in the space where my 24" thickness sander is located. Never enough room.

What did Michelangelo Buonarroti say to Pope Julius II when the Pope asked when it would be done? "When I'm finished". Actually I put a photo of some materials and a film holder on Facebook. I've been too busy to hang out there recently. Like Steve Smith said: CAD / CAM, computer router. I'm learning a 3D software and designing the braces, brackets, and other parts in stainless steel. It's taking all my design, materials science, mechanics, machine capabilities, and CAD skills to make it work. At first I had some awful 3D views. I would rotate and a section would be missing or way too long or disconnected completely. I'm back on the learning curve again. It gets easier with practice. .387 actually looks like something now. Holes are void to the proper depth. Empty inside. One design error and a fifty dollar part is four hundred and fifty. It's good for the mind though. This is a lot like construction work. Nothing seems to be getting done then all of a sudden it finished.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2go View Post
    Curt
    I just made a micro-focusser which connects to a pinion on a rack and is driven by a micro robotics gearmotor. Backlash had to be a minumum.
    The main part was the 1/4 inch 20 tpi UNC 60 degree threaded leadscrew which I made of brass on the 1936 South Bend lathe.
    The first leadscrew I made was bent, so i made another one as carefully as I could with cuts of about 4 thou inch to closely fit the nut.
    It is useable but still not perfect; a very small runout in the leadscrew causes a magnified perturbation in the motion.

I think one problem is the minor diameter of that 1/4 inch thread- the material yields while the thread is being cut and next time I would use next larger diameter.
    And maybe a finer pitch which is shallower.And maybe 4130 Chrom-moly which does not look so elegant but is much stronger and still quite free cutting.
    You might have the same problem in threading the stainless, as 304 etc is not much higher yield than brass.
    I find with ordinary all-thread, the tolerance is too loose when I use my standard taps for the internal thread.
    Good Luck with your camera!
    I'm always thinking about the amount of slop resulting from the original diameter of the shaft. Under sizing might make it easier but the result may not be acceptable. Especially with a floating threaded knob. I've seen adjustable dies and once used one. I once had a set of taps that had a starter, standard, and bottom tap. These are the problems to be dealt with all right. Backlash can bring down the whole build. I had thought of helical rack and pinions but the placement and mounting is strict. There is an force outward against each rack. Everything's a trade off. Your project sounds interesting. Controlled motion can be complicated.

303. 304, 304L is commonly used for stainless steel machined parts.

Cutting fluid does matter, but more important is good quality high speed tool steel cutting tools that are sharp in excellent condition. Beyond that, there are thread limit specs that should be observed, this affects thread fit with the mating part.

The most common problem with producing external or internal threads is alignment. Even a small amount of off axis alignment of the cutting tool to threads will create problems.

The worst problem with cutting threads with a die is at the end of the threads where the cut threads meets the un-threaded part of the shaft. The rough and sharp edges create a serious stress riser that can cause the metal to tear and fail. That area should be smooth out on a lathe using a radii tool.

Better external threads are produced by rolling, not cutting.

Stainless steel threaded rod is an easy off the shelf item. Threaded rod comes in a variety of sizes and thread pitch and materials.

Bernice

Drew Wiley

Takes me back to my more youthful days when I sold supplies to machinists, and stocked an almost bewildering array of
    taps and dies myself. I've threaded a fair amt of incidental 300-grade stainless over the years with no issues. So about the only contribution I'll make to this is to point out that the avg home center or hardware store version of a die is nearly worthless. You'll want to purchase these from someone like McMaster too.

As a long time metal hacker. Many times you need to make or modify tools. Evens taps are not sacrosanct. I would grind them to fit my purpose. I have 3/4" pipe tap I welded to a 1/2 impact drive, so I could power tap aluminum castings with my single purpose tool. The tap tip was also shortened to not penetrate the casting too far and destroy the still assembled machine.

Learning to sharpen drill bits by hand on a grinder is very useful. not perfect, but useful. A Russian mechanic taught me that, thanks Crazy David.

Now, on this site, I am learning how to modify glass. Amazon tools are coming today! AN glass cracking tomorrow...
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

I never was a machinist myself, but learned the tricks from an ex-NASA machinist and optician ... long story. I'm pretty much
    a career jerry-rigger, which is something very beneficial to my current job. They actually seem to like me fooling around and
    dabbling into, and jabbering about every crazy thing that comes along, because it gives me the experience to know what I'm
    talking about and selling to others. Finding someone equally foolhardy to fill my shoes when I retire is going to be the real
    challenge.

ME!

oops, I am already retired.

I sold Snap-On Tools for 5 years, now that was fun. Inner city ghetto route with lot's of crazy smart immigrants that loved my tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I never was a machinist myself, but learned the tricks from an ex-NASA machinist and optician ... long story. I'm pretty much
    a career jerry-rigger, which is something very beneficial to my current job. They actually seem to like me fooling around and
    dabbling into, and jabbering about every crazy thing that comes along, because it gives me the experience to know what I'm
    talking about and selling to others. Finding someone equally foolhardy to fill my shoes when I retire is going to be the real
    challenge.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Randy - I do find the changing demographics to be quite interesting. I've got quite a crop of immigrants, and the first thing they do is get firmly licensed, get a nice truck, logo, and website, then go out a buy the very best equipment they can find.
    They are doing top-quality work, hiring and equipping their employees with good gear too, and utterly beating the pants off
    the traditional crowd of deadbead dropout painters and contractors. It's all about efficiency. I also like dealing with them because they don't shoplift like the other category. Business is really really good, but I'm getting tired.... Can't keep running
    this show along with the darkroom in the evenings. So my time is nearing to become a public bum myself, part of the 47%
    sponging off the system, one of the evil baby-boomers making sure the younger generation will have to retire over 90!

well, sponging...

i find it sad, we are no longer needed
    Tin Can