Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linhof DOF scales

Linhof DOF scales

Does anyone know where I can get a set of Linhof scales for the 90mm f8 Schneider Super Angulon MC and the Nikon 150mm f5.6 lenses for use on a Linhof Super Technika V? I've tried contacting Linhof but it's been over a week and I've had no replies.

I'm working on a night series and would like to be able to work with zone focusing since I can't actually see clearly what I'm shooting, and am hoping the scales will show me where the front standard needs to be for different apertures.

Re: Linhof DOF scales

Linhof DOF scales on a Technika are on the Folding Focusing Hood.
    Linhof diestance scales are available from Linhof service centers. 3 can fit on one Linhof stage on the camera's bed. If you have more then three lenses coupled to work on the camera then you will also need a second Linhof Scale Stage which is also available from the Linhof Service Centers.
    Linhof never sold a 150mm Nikon so the scales they sell are based on Schneider and Rodenstock 150mm lenses. The scale for the 150mm lenses should also work with the Nikon lens.
    Both of these lenses should be mounted on the Linhof 001015 recessed lens board for your camera. That way the 150 will be able to stay on the camera when it is closed and the 90 will be fully on the front rails of the focusing track.
    Since the DOF scales are on the hood and not the bed they will not work quite the way you want.

Hi Bob - thanks for the quick reply!

I have the folding focusing hood and yes, there is a DOF table in there. The problem starts when I have no idea where the bed is when I want focus to be at 10ft (which, at f22, will give me A LOT of DOF). Focusing at infinity is one way to do it, but it just means that my near focus point is much further than if I had focused at 10ft.

focusing is turning out to be a real challenge at night, and being able to zone focus would be perfect. Are there any other ways to zone focus on the Linhof?

Quote Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
    Hi Bob - thanks for the quick reply!

I have the folding focusing hood and yes, there is a DOF table in there. The problem starts when I have no idea where the bed is when I want focus to be at 10ft (which, at f22, will give me A LOT of DOF). Focusing at infinity is one way to do it, but it just means that my near focus point is much further than if I had focused at 10ft.

No, you would need a pair of infinity stops, properly installed and the focusing scales. Without properly installed infinity stops the focusing scale would not work. They are what tells you where to place the front standard for infinity focus with the lens they are set for.

focusing is turning out to be a real challenge at night, and being able to zone focus would be perfect. Are there any other ways to zone focus on the Linhof?

I got two sets of infinity stops and they are pretty much spot on. The one for the 150mm is around 1mm closer to the GG than infinity shows (based on me trying to focus on a subject around 1 mile away) which I plan to fix with a jeweler's screwdriver, and the 90 seems right now that I figured out how to slide the bed in to meet the rails inside the body.

I'd love to get the infinity stops properly installed, but there is no one in this part of the world who seems to know how to do that. I have searched online for the Linhof focusing test chart that you mentioned elsewhere (the one that you put up on a window at 15 ft) but have not been able to locate one. As such, the only way I know how to locate the position for infinity for the 90mm and 150mm is to focus on a subject that's a mile away, and then slide and lock down the infinity stop accordingly for each lens. I'm guessing that's getting me pretty close to where I need to be, give or take 0.5mm, unless the methodology is wrong to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
    I got two sets of infinity stops and they are pretty much spot on. The one for the 150mm is around 1mm closer to the GG than infinity shows (based on me trying to focus on a subject around 1 mile away) which I plan to fix with a jeweler's screwdriver, and the 90 seems right now that I figured out how to slide the bed in to meet the rails inside the body.

I'd love to get the infinity stops properly installed, but there is no one in this part of the world who seems to know how to do that. I have searched online for the Linhof focusing test chart that you mentioned elsewhere (the one that you put up on a window at 15 ft) but have not been able to locate one. As such, the only way I know how to locate the position for infinity for the 90mm and 150mm is to focus on a subject that's a mile away, and then slide and lock down the infinity stop accordingly for each lens. I'm guessing that's getting me pretty close to where I need to be, give or take 0.5mm, unless the methodology is wrong to begin with
    Each time you re-position the infinity stops you will leave small marks in the chrome rail from the points on the screws. So be careful, those marks do not come out.
    The window chart is packaged with the Linhof camming package when it is not done at the factory or at a repair center. If I remember correctly it is done at 15' or so.

To clarify - you have the rangefinder.

Do you have the cams for these lenses and if you do, do they match the lenses?

Finding infinity with the rangefinder is not difficult if you have matched cams, and of course, a functional rangefinder. But lets settle first things first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Each time you re-position the infinity stops you will leave small marks in the chrome rail from the points on the screws. So be careful, those marks do not come out.
    The window chart is packaged with the Linhof camming package when it is not done at the factory or at a repair center. If I remember correctly it is done at 15' or so.
    I bought the camera used, and they were already installed. not much I can do about that, but I'd rather live with two small pock marks than to not have my lenses set correctly at infinity. Infinity stops in the wrong position are just about useless to me.

From what you mention about the camming package, I'm guessing they don't sell it separately then. I have the rangefinder, the images don't line up perfectly, so I suspect horizontal alignment is a little off. Not sure how to get that sorted, but I doubt it requires a full disassembly of the rangefinder unit.

@Jac - The 150mm cam I have matches up to the serial number of the lens

Eva

Hi,

I am a beginner in LF world and got my first Linhof Super Technica few days ago. According to Bob it seems to be SuperTechnica V.
    It came with two lenses - Linhof Symmar-S 150mm f/5,6 and Scheider-Kreuznach Super-Angulon 75mm f/5,6

Despite the fact that seller told it to be "with coupled rangefinder and in working order" now it turned out that it does not have matching cams. As I would like to use rangefinder when shooting, I am really confused now what I should look for - cams for both lenses, distance scales (I have it installed for 150mm).... or is there something else missing?

I understand that the cams and lenses should have matching serial numbers but if I buy just cams and distance scales eg. from ebay for 150mm and 75mm lenses, what else should I do in order to make my camera work properly?

How big problem can it be when one "window/glass" of the rangefinder is broken?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0665.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	93183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0669.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	93184

Thank you for you help in advance,
    Eva

Quote Originally Posted by EvaV View Post
    Hi,

I am a beginner in LF world and got my first Linhof Super Technica few days ago. According to Bob it seems to be SuperTechnica V.
    It came with two lenses - Linhof Symmar-S 150mm f/5,6 and Scheider-Kreuznach Super-Angulon 75mm f/5,6

Despite the fact that seller told it to be "with coupled rangefinder and in working order" now it turned out that it does not have matching cams. As I would like to use rangefinder when shooting, I am really confused now what I should look for - cams for both lenses, distance scales (I have it installed for 150mm).... or is there something else missing?

I understand that the cams and lenses should have matching serial numbers but if I buy just cams and distance scales eg. from ebay for 150mm and 75mm lenses, what else should I do in order to make my camera work properly?

How big problem can it be when one "window/glass" of the rangefinder is broken?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0665.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	93183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0669.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	93184

Thank you for you help in advance,
    Eva
    1: The 105mm will not cover 45. You have a Super Technika 45. This lens is the normal lens for a 23 camera and will only cover roll film on your camera.
    2: To use the rangefinder you need a camming package for each lens that you want coupled to the rangefinder. A camming package consists of the proper cam, cut to the specific lens by serial number. Installation of the properly positioned Infinity Stops for the cammed lens. Installation of the correct Focus Scale for the specific lens.
    The above camming is done either by a Linhof Service Station or at the factory. A new cam will not help you unless it is properly ground for your lens and has the serial number of your lens stamped on the top of the cam.

If your rangefinder window is cracked then there is a very good chance that your camera needs to be repaired and since it is so old, a professional CLA. Since you also need camming you should just pack it all up and send it out for a proper service to either the service center closest to you or to the factory in Germany.