Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody seen Sally Mann Camera

Re: Has anybody seen Sally Mann Camera

There's a lot of good info in this thread previously it seems.

I recently saw her big show here in Atlanta. I love her early work, the portraits of her family. I am not a fan of her more recent work that centers around "landscapes." There was little mention in this retrospective show about her "Body Farm" work (discretion advised when looking at this if you don't want to see literal dead bodies) which I was also interested in as a concept. Perhaps a bit too much for a public art musuem.

I would say she is one of the big reasons why folks started shooting more wet plates with lenses that didn't cover the format. She also doesn't strive for "perfect" plates. I like the work that was more formalized myself.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I love her work from Immediate Family, At Twelve and the recently purchased Deep South.
    She wants more unpredictability in the photographs, maybe some signs of the "gods of photography" (she says something like that in one video of her on the network).
    I really like this approach, as I like it in Michael Ackerman and, in a different way, in Deborah Turbeville and Paolo Roversi.
    It is good to have a vague idea of what equipment she uses but at the end, as usual, is not relevant.
    I will look forward to read Hold Still, I heard very good reviews here in the forum.

She is a master
    Pressing the shutter is the only easy thing

Hold Still is a great book. I agree with Corran that her Family pictures and At Twelve stuff are her best, at least to my taste. Frankly, everything else she has done since then has been not as good, in multiple ways. The landscape stuff just isn't inspiring. Body Farm is interesting but not nearly as much as her earlier work. I saw her big retrospective show in MA and it was a nice show, well seen with lots of variety. I wish she would publish another volume of material from the Family pictures, particularly some of the color work too.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Nania View Post
    I love her work from Immediate Family, At Twelve and the recently purchased Deep South.
    She wants more unpredictability in the photographs, maybe some signs of the "gods of photography" (she says something like that in one video of her on the network).
    I really like this approach, as I like it in Michael Ackerman and, in a different way, in Deborah Turbeville and Paolo Roversi.
    It is good to have a vague idea of what equipment she uses but at the end, as usual, is not relevant.
    I will look forward to read Hold Still, I heard very good reviews here in the forum.

She is a master
    Roberto,
    If you like audio-books, then please consider getting Hold Still as an audio-book: Sally reads this herself, and it definitely adds depth and authenticity to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael01 View Post
    Hi!

Is there anyone who knows the lable/brand of the camera
    that Sally Mann use?

The important thing is not the camera, the important thing is the shutter and the integrated eye meter, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o62-YMQHeoI

As time passes technology advances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICLG3HCDlhk&t=27s

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    The important thing is not the camera, the important thing is the shutter and the integrated eye meter, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o62-YMQHeoI
    Haha, that is fantastic! Eye meter, her hand as the shutter, and her head as stabilizer when the dark slides go in/out -- brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by giganova View Post
    Haha, that is fantastic! Eye meter, her hand as the shutter, and her head as stabilizer when the dark slides go in/out -- brilliant!
    Yeah, I missed the VR.

But the great thing is all that ended in the most impressive prints many have seen on a wall. A massive silver print enlarged from a 8x10" wet plate is something extraordinary, it plays in another division ...this is beyond the artistic work, of course.

Drew Wiley

It's like making famous cheese. If you want the same level of quality, you need the same species of mold between the lens elements that she deliberately had in certain pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    It's like making famous cheese. If you want the same level of quality, you need the same species of mold between the lens elements that she deliberately had in certain pictures.
    It's not about specific gear... it's about authenticity and about being a true artist.

A true artist is able to create amazing art by using the bottom of a coke bottle. We discuss about lp/mm.

If a true artist finds a powerful crack in the middle of the lens he sees an opportunity. If he finds a tack sharp lens then he also sees an opportunity. It's the indian and not the arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Hold Still is a great book. I agree with Corran that her Family pictures and At Twelve stuff are her best, at least to my taste. Frankly, everything else she has done since then has been not as good, in multiple ways. The landscape stuff just isn't inspiring. Body Farm is interesting but not nearly as much as her earlier work. I saw her big retrospective show in MA and it was a nice show, well seen with lots of variety. I wish she would publish another volume of material from the Family pictures, particularly some of the color work too.
    Actually, I like the picture that are in Deep South a lot. Of course it is something very different from her portrait of young girls and her family.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Roberto,
    If you like audio-books, then please consider getting Hold Still as an audio-book: Sally reads this herself, and it definitely adds depth and authenticity to the story.
    Thank you Paul, maybe I will do it after actually reading the book; I'm not mother tongue English/American and I could loose a 10-15% while listening; reading gives me the time to go to the dictionary in the worst case. I afforded Avedon's Something Personal by Norma Stevens in that way and it worked almost ok (actually I think it is written in some kind of NY slang because some abbreviations and expressions were so strange).

As time passes technology advances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICLG3HCDlhk&t=27s
    Thank you Pere! This Galli shutter is the answer I was looking for to use a 210/4.5 Tessar I want to purchase.

It's not about specific gear... it's about authenticity and about being a true artist.

A true artist is able to create amazing art by using the bottom of a coke bottle. We discuss about lp/mm.

If a true artist finds a powerful crack in the middle of the lens he sees an opportunity. If he finds a tack sharp lens then he also sees an opportunity. It's the indian and not the arrow.
    It is so.
    Pressing the shutter is the only easy thing