Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing 5x7 Lisco Regal Holder / Light Leak Test

Fixing 5x7 Lisco Regal Holder / Light Leak Test

Hi guys,

I got a good deal on some Lisco Regal 5x7 film holders at the bay a few months ago. I just received the package from my friend and found out one of the holder has some DS cracks and at the bottom there are some chipped plastic. Is there any way i could fix this? I have a cloth tape here which i'm not sure if it's suitable for tapping the cracks on the DS or electrical tape would be much better. how about the chipped part at the bottom? I'm thinking of putting a glue on it and put black acrylic paint just to make sure no light would enter on the bottom. Not sure if these are good solution. What do you think?

Last question, is there any other way to check/test light leaks on film holders?

Thanks! Sorry if this has been posted before.

Jef

Re: Fixing 5x7 Lisco Regal Holder / Light Leak Test

Any tips?

There's lots of info buried in this forum on checking for light leaks, one that comes to mind is using photo paper, load a sheet and set the
    film holder out in daylight for a few minutes, if there's any light leaks you'll see it on the developed paper.

Epoxy putty would probably fix that chip in the holder, be careful that the repair doesn't interfere with closing the flap and loading film.

Thank you Jim!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    There's lots of info buried in this forum on checking for light leaks, one that comes to mind is using photo paper, load a sheet and set the
    film holder out in daylight for a few minutes, if there's any light leaks you'll see it on the developed paper.

Epoxy putty would probably fix that chip in the holder, be careful that the repair doesn't interfere with closing the flap and loading film.
    I've successfully repaired holes in plastic film holders with epoxy colored with a little of black paint. Like Jim said just make sure you don't epoxy the flap closed. I think the cracks in the dark slide would be more of an issue----I don't now how to repair those, perhaps you can find replacements on ebay.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks John. I will yet to find epoxy here in Iran. Let see. The cracks in the DS isn't big. it's like a dent maybe putting a cloth or electrical tape would be fine. I'll test this holder on weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I've successfully repaired holes in plastic film holders with epoxy colored with a little of black paint. Like Jim said just make sure you don't epoxy the flap closed. I think the cracks in the dark slide would be more of an issue----I don't now how to repair those, perhaps you can find replacements on ebay.

IIRC I used PC-7 and added a little black paint for color. Once dried it can be sanded or filed smooth if need be. For replacing the tape, gaffers tape works but bookbinders tape is better. Don't use duct tape! Electrical tape would be a field expedient, temporary fix IMHO
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by tenderobject View Post
    Thanks John. I will yet to find epoxy here in Iran. Let see. The cracks in the DS isn't big. it's like a dent maybe putting a cloth or electrical tape would be fine. I'll test this holder on weekend.
    Bondo type two part epoxy for bodywork on vehicles would probably work as well---just add some black pigment to it.

There are epoxy putties that are pre colored black or intrinsically a dark gray,
    Mohawk makes a black epoxy putty that I've used ( also in other wood colors )
    it's a specialty item so you'll have to look for it at woodworker supply houses.
    Plumbing supply is another place to look.

I believe JB Weld makes a dark gray putty, Home Depot etc.

It may be harder for tenderobject to find such things, because of where he is,
    but I could be wrong

The damaged 8x10 holder I fixed arrived "repaired" with gaffer's tape. I removed the tape out of curiosity and found the hole. I don't know if the tape repair worked or not since I went ahead and patched it with the grey PC-7 with a little black mixed in.