Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Toronto

I will be in Toronto on a business trip later this month but will have the evenings and one weekend free. I'm bringing a Toyo 45CF with 90mm, 150mm, 250mm Imagon soft focus lens, and B&W sheet film. I'm hoping for a silver and alternative (e.g., salted paper) output. I like landscapes (especially the grand landscapes), seascapes, architecture (both modern and historical), historical sites, and picturesque urban settings.

This is my first visit to the area and your input of photographic possibilities is kindly solicited and greatly appreciated. I will have access to a rental car.

Thanks,

Thomas

Re: Toronto

Thomas

You will here when?? The Contact photo festival starts the week of April 29 till the end of May, each evening is jam packed with photo events.
    As far as photo opportunities others here may have better input than I as I only photograph in a studio setting, with hot lights. If you are here long enough a Salgado exhibit is opening during
    this festival.

The GTA is over 6 million so a bit of driving is required to find grand landscapes.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Thanks for the reply Bob. I'll be there the week of the 15th so regrettably I'll miss both the festival and the Salgado exhibit. I'm going to do my homework and come-up with a doable photography itinerary. Having traveled in Canada no further east that Winnipeg, I’m looking forward to this trip.

Thomas

Out of town, maybe the Cheltenham badlands, or perhaps take the ferry across the Toronto harbour and see Toronto islands, a sort of quiet country in the city community and get the sky line behind you.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Thomas

You will here when?? The Contact photo festival starts the week of April 29 till the end of May, each evening is jam packed with photo events.
    Great, I will be in TO from th 28th - 2nd, I will look into this.

Well if there is anything we can do we are here, Maybe a list of restaurants are go to areas.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Thanks for the reply Bob. I'll be there the week of the 15th so regrettably I'll miss both the festival and the Salgado exhibit. I'm going to do my homework and come-up with a doable photography itinerary. Having traveled in Canada no further east that Winnipeg, I’m looking forward to this trip.

Thomas

Polson Pier and Humber Bay are two easy to access areas with good views to shoot the city skyline. Anywhere along the lake shore has a ton of possibilities for pictures. Check my flickr for a couple of examples.

I was there last month and if I had more time I would have shot more in the Hamilton area it's really interesting, especially if you are into industrial stuff. I'd love to explore more around the harbour and whatnot.

If you stay till the 3rd then there is a big opening at Arta Gallery on the 2nd with our people, Sandy King will be with us that evening. May 1 is the contact opening at MOCCA, very packed with people and interesting exhibits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Great, I will be in TO from th 28th - 2nd, I will look into this.

I'm in Toronto about every other week. If all else fails, there are some nice galleries.

While there are pockets of interesting architecture, I think Toronto is a semi-wasteland re:heritage and cultural buildings. Compared to Montreal and Chicago for example.

I like the grounds of the University of Toronto but they'll be small, intimate kind of spaces. It's also close to some nice neighbourhoods so that might be worth a wander and it's a short walk to Chinatown if you're hungry.

Cheltenham badlands can be good but if the weather is nice, it's going to be hard to avoid people
    notch codes ? I only use one film...