Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Fujinon lenses are cheap compared to others?

Why Fujinon lenses are cheap compared to others?

A lot of them are under $300.

I was wondering if there's reason why Fujinon lenses are cheap compare to others? Thanks,

Re: Why Fujinon lenses are cheap compare to others?

I've wondered that very same thing myself - most of my lenses are Fujinons - and it sure ain't 'cause they aren't great lenses! I suspect that the Germans command higher prices more because of their pedigree than anything else. Some would probably argue they are of better quality in a general sense, but Fujinon's are of superb quality in their own right, and AFAIK they are not subject to Schneideritis, balsam separation and some of the other issues that often plague the older Germans.

Good question, but for my part I'll count myself lucky and buy an extra box or two of film for choosing to "settle" with Fujinon lenses!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Fuji's! All four of em !

Marketing, I suspect. I have to say that I'm not unhappy with this situation. I've gotten a lot of excellent lenses at very reasonable prices.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

I own a Fuji 250mm f/6.7 lens which covers 8x10 with adequate coverage for movements. I bought it off Ebay for just under $300.00 including shipping. What a bargain that was!

I think it has a lot to do with name. You can buy late model Caltars which are rebadged Rodenstocks and Schneiders cheaper than regular Rodenstocks and Schneiders. They are the same lenses!

Dave Karp

For many years Fuji did have an official U.S. distributor. They were brought in by a few retailers. As a result, they were not as well known. Check out the prices of some Fujinons, like the 300A. They are highly sought after, and hold their value well.

Fuji 600C ain't cheap anymore.

Lachlan 717

It's simple: the trouble with common sense is that it's not too common!

Brilliant lenses.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    , but Fujinon's are of superb quality in their own right, and AFAIK they are not subject to Schneideritis, balsam separation and some of the other issues that often plague the older Germans.
    Fujinons can get little white dots around where the lenses elements meet the housing. The one Fujinon I own now that I bought from a member here has this. (He didn't mention it during the sale of course... This place is definitely going downhill in terms of quality descriptions in my experience.) But it doesn't affect image quality.

I have owned several Fujinons and I think they are great, but I will say the two Schneider plasmats I have owned have a look about them that is just slightly more special. It is hard to describe. My 150 APO Symmar was my best late model lens of all in terms of the "look" it got. I still have a 210 that is a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Fujinons can get little white dots around where the lenses elements meet the housing.
    I'd be curious to read if anyone else has seen this. I haven't.

Contrast aside, you might find this comparison of several lenses (including Fujinon but not Schneider) interesting, with regard to how different designs "render" the image. Once stopped down to f/8 or smaller, the differences are hard to distinguish. The only exception is the 210 Heliar, which exhibited focus shift. I'm not saying that there are no differences, only that they are not always as blatant as some people suggest, or even discernible for that matter.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 1-Apr-2013 at 08:43.