Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enlarger lenses question

Enlarger lenses question

I'm offered two enlarger lenses for a Durst Laborator 138:

- 1 x Schneider-Kreutznach. G-Claron 9/210. f9-f64, nr. 13 222 454
    - 1x Schneider-Kreutznach. G-Claron 9/240. f9-f64, nr. 13 158 369

Are these any good ? At this moment, I'm using old Durst Componon lenses. Are these G-Clarons better ? What would be a reasonable price to pay ?

Thanks for any advice.

Stefan.

Joel Edmondson

Re: Enlarger lenses question

What format are you enlarging? These are somewhat slow for enlarging (depending upon your light source) and prices can vary significantly. You also don't mention what focal length Componon(s) you have so it is difficult to make suggestions.
    Joel

Hello Joel,

Max format that I use to enlarge is 5x7 (a 8x10 enlarger is in my distant dreams ..). I'm not at home, and it's a long time since I looked closely at the lenses I have (I use my Laborator 1200 for 4x5 a bit more than the 138). I'll have a look this evening.

Thanks,
    STefan.

These are actually process lenses that are usually optimized for f22. An enlarging lens is usually (for modern ones) f5.6 and they are optimized for 2 stops down, F11. That larger aperture will result in markedly shorter exposure times, less chance for reciprocity effects and far less chance of vibration. In addition, you are looking for 57 or 810 lenses right? These would be no good at all for smaller formats.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Edmondson View Post
    What format are you enlarging? These are somewhat slow for enlarging (depending upon your light source) and prices can vary significantly. You also don't mention what focal length Componon(s) you have so it is difficult to make suggestions.
    Joel
    Ok, I checked; the lenses I have now (always used without really looking what I was using ):

- Schneider-Kreuznach Durst Componon 5,6 210mm
    - same, but 5,6 150mm.

They are quite old, have Schneideritis, and the glass isn't really shiny clean; they are usable, but I'm on the lookout for something better. Are these G-Clarons what I would be looking for ?

Thanks,
    Stefan.

Quote Originally Posted by gliderbee View Post
    Ok, I checked; the lenses I have now (always used without really looking what I was using ):

- Schneider-Kreuznach Durst Componon 5,6 210mm
    - same, but 5,6 150mm.

They are quite old, have Schneideritis, and the glass isn't really shiny clean; they are usable, but I'm on the lookout for something better. Are these G-Clarons what I would be looking for ?

Thanks,
    Stefan.
    I think Bob Salomon has already answered your question. G-Clarons are not enlarging lenses.

Aside from possibly cleaning your existing lenses, as they generally open up easily enough to their front and rear cells, you might simply replace your existing lenses with later Componon-s lenses which are also in better condition.

Drew Wiley

G-Clarons actually work better for enlarging than many older "authentic" enlarging lenses, and certainly do not need to be
    used at f/22. The 240 should easily cover 5x7 and be quite sharp just one stop down. The 210 will probably also be fine.
    But that's still a stop slower than most enlarging lenses. The other issue is that the G-Claron label was affixed to lenses over
    quite a time span, and some of the older ones had a different design which I am not personally familiar with. Some process
    lenses are absolutely superb for use on an enlarger - better corrected in fact than any dedicated enlarging lens I can think
    of - IF you can work with somewhat smaller apertures. I'd far rather use a clean late G-Claron than an old style Componon.
    But there are so many modern enlarging lenses out there, that you might want to weigh all the options. Sometimes you need
    the speed and brighter focus-viewing. I've mounted G-Clarons on my Durst and compared the results with various enlarging
    and process lenses - but these were relatively modern "taking" lenses in shutter.

Joel Edmondson

Stefan... Bob Salomon can be pretty well counted on for sage advice. I have used the earlier Schneider Repro-Clarons for enlarging but they are not great. There are plenty of "newish" Schneider and Rodagon lenses out there at decent prices and you will really be much better off with the appropriate enlarging lens unless you are just wanting to "play-around" with different lenses.
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    These are actually process lenses that are usually optimized for f22. An enlarging lens is usually (for modern ones) f5.6 and they are optimized for 2 stops down, F11. That larger aperture will result in markedly shorter exposure times, less chance for reciprocity effects and far less chance of vibration. In addition, you are looking for 57 or 810 lenses right? These would be no good at all for smaller formats.
    Hello Bob,

Your arguments sound valid even for new lenses, while some say newer ones are ok for enlarging.

I was sent a picture of the lenses; I guess this are new ones ? If they come VERY cheap (I was asked to make an offer), I might be tempted, just to experiment a bit until I've found a decent enlarging lens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P0007763.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	92288

Thanks,
    Stefan.

Drew, there've been a number of discussions about when Schneider stopped making dagor type G-Clarons and started making plasmat types. I got curious, asked Schneider, and was told that G-Clarons with serial number less than 11,000,000 are dagor types and later ones are plasmats. The OP has finally shown us the lenses, they're both later than 11,000,000.

Stefan, you've been offered good taking lenses whose cells are direct fits in a Compur/Copal #1.