Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Durst CLS 301 on Laborator 138

Question Durst CLS 301 on Laborator 138

Goodmorning at all , can someone help me?

I want to buy a 4x5 enlarger , and i found a 138 with cls 301 color head.

But i haven't any manual and information for the CLS 301 !!

In particular can a LATIBOX 138 (mixing box) print 4x5 films?

Thanks , and excuse for my ugly english!

Re: Durst CLS 301 on Laborator 138

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Goodmorning at all , can someone help me?

I want to buy a 4x5 enlarger , and i found a 138 with cls 301 color head.

But i haven't any manual and information for the CLS 301 !!

In particular can a LATIBOX 138 (mixing box) print 4x5 films?

Thanks , and excuse for my ugly english!
    You can use any mixing box 4x5" or larger on the CLS301 to make 4x5" prints. You need to know the size of the opening on the mixing box currently on the enlarger. If you have the 6x9cm opening, then you can't do 4x5" prints without getting something like this: http://team-foto.de/product_info.php...ducts_id=33569

Thanks a lot ! .... so there isn't any problem , because Latibox 138 is for 13x18 (5x7 ... imperial )!

and what about the Lens panel configuration ? in the advert there are only autotub and latub!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Thanks a lot ! .... so there isn't any problem , because Latibox 138 is for 13x18 (5x7 ... imperial )!

and what about the Lens panel configuration ? in the advert there are only autotub and latub!
    Check out page 6 of this manual for a list of lenses and lens panels: http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/pdf/man...38S_manual.pdf

Thanks !

Drew Wiley

The most serious problem with an older colorhead will be the potential condition of the reflectors. If the coatings are peeling
    you'll get uneven light distribution and possbily even poor color. These are hard to find and VERY expensive to replace or
    even to recoat. It is possible, however, to modernize the entire bulb system, but this is too involved for me to explain here.
    You also want to be certain that any heat-absorbing board behind the bulbs is not failing asbestos which can get spread
    around by the cooling fan. If so, it much be carefully cleaned out and replaced with some modern cement-based "stoveboard".
    The 5x7 mixing chamber works fine for 4x5 film, though it doesn't concentrate the light with quite as much intensity as a
    dedicated 4x5 mirror box.

thanks Drew, next sunday i'm going to Alessandria to look the real condition of the enlarger .

But the cls 301 have this lamp? https://www.interlight.biz/light-bul...-L128S/CLS-301

Asbestos (= amianto) can be a problem after 30 years ....

And what about the BW condenser head (it is with the 138)? it's totally different i know , but there are any alternative solution for the lamp? in Europe there are no tungstene lamp , only halogen !

You can import a G40 bulb from the US or convert to LED as this guy in Australia did to his 138
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/1...tor-138-a.html

Drew Wiley

Bulbs are not the issue. What might be problem is if it's an old unit with two linear bulbs halogen bulbs (one on each side)
    and matching linear clamshell-style reflectors behind them. There should be a little access inspection door at each end of
    the colorhead. This arrangement can be successfully replaced by a bank of modern integral-reflector bulbs, provided the
    power supply is also matched, and the burn position of the bulbs is appropriate to your intended use (vertical versus horizontal enlargement). I wouldn't trust anything LED at this point in history for actual color printing. It might work for VC
    papers. Condensor heads can be converted into color heads too, albeit with a lot more effort - best to leave them for black
    and white printing. It's hard to give you a correct generic answer because these kinds of things were manufactured over quite
    a period of time, and it is possible modifications were made. And unless you are skilled with electronics, you want to make
    certain the power supply and cooling system are also operational.

Thanks at all ! I need only a 4x5 enlarger e i'm only looking around (in Italy) . I found some "bargains " with a lot of accessories. The IFF enlargers are difficult to find even in Italy , like De VERE and others. Large format is less common here ...but i found on internet two laborator 138, one with two heads (CLS 301 and BW condenser) and one with only the BW condenser but complete!

Till now i print only BW ... from 35mm with my little durst 600 ! Color is wonderful but is to early ... even if color head is useful formultigrade prints (i use onlly 0 and 5 ilford filters ...)

And now the BIG problem ... condenser head needs a big lamp , but in EUROPE there are no tungstene anymore.... ! i must convert my future 138 head ... something like this : http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ent-Bubs/page2 a classic G40 , and buy a power converter or transformatore like this http://www.ebay.it/itm/TRASFORMATORE...#ht_4211wt_952 and i think that this is the simple solution!

But in USA there is any law like in EUROPE for future ban of tungsten lamps ? in EU fron 2012 no tungsten any more .....

With the cls 301 there are other problems : asbestos condition and old dicroic filters and lamps !

Led illuminations ? too money and rear heat problems