Thread: Arca Swiss M-Line 8x10 and Monoball Fix compatibility

Question Arca Swiss M-Line 8x10 and Monoball Fix compatibility

Hi,

I recently purchased what seems like an old version of Arca Swiss M-Line 8x10 (?before the Monolith version?). It came with a huge tripod head to support it which weighs ~2.5 kgs... I thought of buying an Arca Swiss Monoball P0 to replace the tripod head but don't know if it will support it (around 7kgs with lens) and whether the Monoball Fix system is compatible with the rail (it's a telescopic bench - was it changed during the years?) or do I need the older Quick Set (to use the ballhead without a camera plate)?

Regards,
    Omer

Re: Arca Swiss M-Line 8x10 and Monoball Fix compatibility

The P0 head (at least the one I have) has a couple of pins coming up to act as stops, to make sure you don't slide the quick release off the head accidentally when loose. These go into the slot on the NEWER arca monorails, but the older rails (like the one I have :-( ) are flat on the bottom, and the pins get in the way. If you could remove the pins, or route (without losing structural stability) a groove in the bottom of your rail you'd probably be OK.

FWIW, my P0 supports (BARELY!) my linhof technika IV 5x7.

You might bet better off w/ a P1 head (me too!), which has the double dovetail clamp for both standard arca and the smaller fix size- I don't think this has the safety pins that get in the way.

-Brian

Thanks Brian. My rail doesn't have a flat bottom - it has kind of wide groove. The levers are not the same as the current rails being sold. Is it the same as yours?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7578_small.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	92243

Name:	CIMG7580_small.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	92244

Arca-Swiss

[QUOTE=Omer Yair;1008134]Thanks Brian. My rail doesn't have a flat bottom - it has kind of wide groove. The levers are not the same as the current rails being sold. Is it the same as yours?

Name:	CIMG7578_small.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	92243

Name:	CIMG7580_small.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	92244[/
    The P0 is not enough head for the M line or monolith cameras. The P1 would do it or anything above that, such as Z1, or D4 or C1 Cube.
    I would got with a classic or fliplock which have dual channels accepting both the rail, or monoball fix plates, and the classic plates including the connecting bracket for the current or earlier view cameras.
    See rodklukas.com for info on the available heads.

Thank you,
    Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Rod, is there an Arca Swiss dealer in west Germany (or even nearby countries) that I can visit and experiment with the different heads before buying one? I'm looking for a comfortable lightweight solution for all formats (from 35mm to 8x10).

Quote Originally Posted by Omer Yair View Post
    Rod, is there an Arca Swiss dealer in west Germany (or even nearby countries) that I can visit and experiment with the different heads before buying one? I'm looking for a comfortable lightweight solution for all formats (from 35mm to 8x10).
    Isarfoto

http://www.isarfoto.com/index.php/is...html?limit=all