Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your favorite Goerz?

What are your favorite Goerz?

I've got four total, but the ones that see the most use are an uncoated 14" APO Artar (on 5x7) and a 19" Red Dot Artar (on 8x10) In fact I find the 19" Red Dot Artar extremely useful for landscapes. Even the uncoated APO Artar is so sharp, the gg sometimes seems to sparkle when composing.
    I can see why they've become cult legends (but don't believe the hype--yes anyone can take lousy photographs with a Goerz, been there---done that many times!)
    Which Goerz lens(es) do you use and enjoy?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: What are your favorite Goerz?

No Goerz lenses here but the 19" Red Dot Artar has been at the top of my "want" list for a while. My daughter is in college and keeping me broke for now.

Just a plain old 12" Goerz Am Opt Dagor. The lens ws bought around 1940 in New York with an Agfa Ansco Commercial View buy a student & later lecturer at the Clarence White School of Photography. The second owner a Photofraphy Prefoeffsor said it had separation and was no good as it was old, he'd never tried it.

So not expecting much I found a gem - a coated Dagor that just needed a good clean, the original owner (who I managed to contact) had it factory coated after WWII, It's a great lens to usse and the results are superb.

Ian

Lynkeioskop series C, E & F.
    Not used the series III much yet.

I like the Dagor. I have a 14", 8.5" Gold Rim, and several small early 1900s ones in Volutes. Even the early uncoated ones are very contrasty, comparatively.

I've got 4 as well. The 12" Gold Dot Dagor by far the most used. I love it. I've only shot a couple sheets with 6.5" WA Dagor, but it's nice to have around. I do like my 8.25 inch Dagor, but after using a 210 Angulon for a while the 8.25 is getting ignored. And I finally picked up a 30" Red Dot Artar which is now on it's way to SK Grimes for mounting into a shutter. Looking forward to giving that a try.

The 19" RD and occasionally the 24" RD. For 8x10 and 11x14.

I should say it was really an old 1902 Goerz Doppel Anastigmat attached to my Kodak Panoram No.1 that got me into Dagors. It always amazed me with it's tonal signature.

I just got a 10 3/4 in Red Dot Artar after Bernice Loui kindly lent me hers to try. Very nice.

After hearing about Dagors from former teachers and friends, I decided to try a 9.5" on my 5"x7" and loved it. It compared very well with a modern Plasmat with slightly less contrast, but more coverage, and is much more compact. I was, and am, hooked. I now have several in various FLs. They are all of the same basic build as the old, Series IIIs, and as another poster pointed out, even uncoated examples give good contrast owing to the low number of air/glass interfaces(6-2 construction, meaning 6 elements in 2 groups, resulting in a total of 4 air/glass interfaces)
    The (Red Dot) Artar design spawned most of the really good process lenses(Apo-Ronars, Apo-Nikkors, etc.). At the moment I only have a late (Schneider) RDA in 16.5" I am planning on using on 8"x10"
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com