Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lens focal length strategy?

lens focal length strategy?

As I have assembled my LF gear I have wound up with 3 mono-rail 4x5 cameras and 2 lens that are very close in focal length. I have a Symnar S 180mm and a Fujinon-W 150mm.
    To those who have lots of experience with these lenses is one clearly a better lens in terms of optical performance. I know the Fujinon is small and lighter but I am more concerned with keeping the lens that is better in terms of sharpness, resolution, fall off etc.
    I am going to sell two of the mono-rails and probably one of these two lense as well unless there is a reason to keep both of them.

I hate looking back at something I have sold with regrets.
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Re: lens focal length strategy?

Why ask us which of your lenses better suits your preferences? You have the lenses, ask them.

Similarly, why ask us which of your monorails better suits your working style? You should be able to decide for yourself.

Whatever you do will be wrong and the fault will be all yours no matter what advice you've received.

Dan I have no idea what you are talking about! I did not ask about what to do with the cameras. I know what I am keeping and what I am selling. The point with the lenses is is there one that is supposed to be OPTICALLY, as I said, superior. If one was clearly better than the other on the surface to me I would not be asking the question! I am asking from the position of someone who only has a year or so with LF and it is a different animal than MF or 35mm.
    Also if the question posed by the post does not interest you then don't respond or give us your asshole opinion!

Octogenarian

Barry,

The lenses that you have are equal in quality and performance. Keep both of them.

The focal lengths I use for 4x5: 90, 125, 150, 180, 210, 250.

(All are Fujinon NW's)

Thanks Gem I have not really been able to tell any difference in image quality. Obviously the Fujinon is a great lens to have to carry around.

I’d keep both of them too (if you were me). That is, for this reason: I have a 110-150-240 kit (for 4x5), and miss a 180 more often than I miss any lens wider than 110, or longer than 240. But what I happen to miss is based on actual trips into the field. (I can assure you that I wouldn’t miss the 180 had I stayed online, and accepted the kind recommendations found there.) I think if you take your two lenses on just a few trips into the field, you’ll have an easy time deciding if you want to keep both lenses, or sell one in favor of another, such as a 90 or 300. And everyone here would be interested in hearing about the in-the-field experiences that led you to your decision.

Joel Edmondson

In terms of performance it would probably be a toss-up between the two and they are pretty close in focal length. If the Fujinon-W is one of the early, single-coated lenses (80 degree coverage) I might be tempted to keep it over the 180 but I am sort of partial to the older single-coated lenses (including the Angulons) for landscapes. To me, more than three lenses was always a waste but that is just one old man's opinion based on packing LF for fifty+ years. Nowadays I pretty much stick to carrying a 120 and a 180. If I have something specific in mind that calls for a longer focal length I'll carry the 120 and a 305 but I usually know before I go someplace (by having been there before) what I want to work on and what angle of view I need. 180 is (again, for me) a really nice focal length on 4x5!
    Joel

I try to double each focal length, so I have 90/150/300mm. And, a small pile of historic lenses.

Lachlan 717

I've changed from 72-90-150mm to 72-120-180mm kit, so I'd recommend keeping the 180mm.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Brassai View Post
    I try to double each focal length, so I have 90/150/300mm.
    Wouldn't it go 90/180/360mm?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky