Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accessory Focal Plane Shutter curtain

Accessory Focal Plane Shutter curtain

I'm trying to get at a shutter curtain in 4x5 focal place shutter and I'm quite frankly flummoxed at how
    to do it. It's not on a Speed Graphic or a Graflex SLR, it's one that's a accessory ad on for wood view cameras
    but it seems not for Kodak 2D's since it's leather covered.

The one that I'm trying to dismantle is a Auto Graflex Focal Plane shutter by Folmer Schwing, it showed up on my
    doorstep without a wind knob and I quickly took care of that, see pix, but is the only way to get at the curtain by peeling
    up the petrified leather to find screws ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FPSknob011.jpg  

Re: Accessory Focal Plane Shutter curtain

Picture uploads seem to poop out after the first one, can't upload anymore after the first...

I've got an 8x10 version of that. It has no leather. Perhaps yours is similarly beautiful under the leather.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130324_194731.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	91927
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130324_194741.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	91928

I would expect (based on tinkering with speed graphics) that removing the round plates on the other side would let you gain access to the curtain rollers.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo envious of the 8x10 version….

I would expect (based on tinkering with speed graphics) that removing the round plates on the other side would let you gain access to the curtain rollers.
    That's the kicker, the plates are hidden underneath the leather, it's not so much that I want to get at those
    rollers it's the curtain and the rollers that I want to take out to replace the curtain.

Finally, the new knob !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FPSknob012.jpg  

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Yes, tell us more about the 8x10 version.

Those round plates, I believe, are the bearings that the rollers ride in. If you have a sluggish shutter, these are the usual culprit being gunked up with old grease. A cue-tip with naptha will clean them real good. Be careful not to mess the threads up.

JP... can you post some pictures of your 8x10? Is it homebrew? Does it have a plate with the shutter speeds? Very cool.

Mark

It's a Folmer and Schwing like Jim C's, but apparently bigger. The rhombus shaped plate above the tension adjustment plate has the shutter speeds engraved/stamped in it. It's hard to read as the numbers aren't painted, but they are there.

For 8x10 I mostly use a B&J, which this does not quite fit. I have an old century studio camera around but need to try and see if it fits that next. Whatever it fits on, it goes between the camera and the interchangable back. On my B&J, I have a front mounted speed graphic for bigger lenses. The Folmer and Schwing focal plane shutter would balance the camera a little better with a heavy lens on the front and the accessory shutter on back.

My interest is basically to have shutter speed options with big/old barrel lenses. For smaller old barrel lenses, my 4x5 speed graphic is excellent by itself.

FYI - There is a F&S (I think) focal plane shutter that may be an 8X10 on sale at the auction site. Can't access it at work to find the # but you can do a search for graflex shutter to find it.