Thread: Homemade light-baffles or Wing-kit for Century Studio Master

Homemade light-baffles or Wing-kit for Century Studio Master

Hey,
    after my recent inquiries for the measurements for the wing-kit/light-baffles/inserts for sliding carriage, Louis Pacilla helped me out with the measurements for both the 5x7 and 8x10 inserts. He also took pictures and did an outstanding job in describing them for me. Since there is little to no information regarding these that I could find at least, I thought I should post it here, together with both my own version that I have made of the last couple of days, and also pictures of the originals that Louis kindly sent me photos of.
    So here goes, the description Louis sent me, and it seems to be spot on, my own built inserts work like they should !

1) overall dimensions for both wing boards is 9 7/16 "x 9 7/16 " and the set back on the rear of the wing board is a 1/4" on all four sides( like the set back on the back side of a lens board).

2) The opening on the main 5x7 wing board is 3 1/16" x 4 15/16" centered. The wings are made of aluminum & bent at 90 deg for attaching through the cut opening of the 5x7 wing board. The piece of aluminum should measure 2 13/16" x 4 15/16". On the 2 13/16" side (or long side) you'll want to make the 90 deg bend. You'll make the bend at 9/16", leaving 2 3/16" on the other side.Make a pair of these and the rest should be easy to figure out when you see the attached photos.

3)The opening on the main 8x10 wing board is 5 1/16" x 7 15/16" centered. The wings are made of aluminum & bent at 90 deg for attaching through the cut opening of the 8x10 wing board. the piece of aluminum should measure 2 1/4" x 7 15/16". On the 2 1/4" side (or long side) you'll want to make the 90 deg bend. You'll make the bend at 1/2",leaving 1 3/4" on the other side.Make a pair of these and the rest should be easy to figure out when you see the attached photos.

4)don't forget to add the half moon set backs on either side of each wing board. They are used as a place to attach the wing kit to the sliding carriage w/ the thumb tabs.
    And here is the images Louis provided me with ( all credit to : Louis Pacilla of course ! ) :

So again, thank you to Louis for giving me a helping hand !

Re: Homemade light-baffles or Wing-kit for Century Studio Master

And here is my own copies after Louis's measurements.
    In my opinion they look A LOT better in my hands without the flash, than on these pictures.
    The straights are straight and the surface looks better, but the important thing is that they do work, and that they do!
    5x7 insert:
    1) overall dimensions for both wing boards is 9 7/16 "x 9 7/16 " and the set back on the rear of the wing board is a 1/4" on all four sides( like the set back on the back side of a lens board).

2) The opening on the main 5x7 wing board is 3 1/16" x 4 15/16" centered. The wings are made of aluminum & bent at 90 deg for attaching through the cut opening of the 5x7 wing board. The piece of aluminum should measure 2 13/16" x 4 15/16". On the 2 13/16" side (or long side) you'll want to make the 90 deg bend. You'll make the bend at 9/16", leaving 2 3/16" on the other side.Make a pair of these and the rest should be easy to figure out when you see the attached photos.

3)don't forget to add the half moon set backs on either side of each wing board. They are used as a place to attach the wing kit to the sliding carriage w/ the thumb tabs.

And here is the 8x10 insert.

8x10 insert:

2)The opening on the main 8x10 wing board is 5 1/16" x 7 15/16" centered. The wings are made of aluminum & bent at 90 deg for attaching through the cut opening of the 8x10 wing board. the piece of aluminum should measure 2 1/4" x 7 15/16". On the 2 1/4" side (or long side) you'll want to make the 90 deg bend. You'll make the bend at 1/2",leaving 1 3/4" on the other side.Make a pair of these and the rest should be easy to figure out when you see the attached photos.

3)don't forget to add the half moon set backs on either side of each wing board. They are used as a place to attach the wing kit to the sliding carriage w/ the thumb tabs.

Here's the first test images with the inserts.
    My mother is the subject in these.

5x7:
    As you can see the gap between the two is unnecessarily large, but still it works wonderfully !

5x7 Fomapan200, Century Studio Master, Front element of an aero-ektar 24"

8x10:
    Here the gap isn't there at all, but the insert does what it's supposed to do.

8x10 Fomapan100, century Studio Master, Kodak Portrait 305mm wideopen