Thread: Question about street photography and insurance

Question about street photography and insurance

HI, not sure if this is the correct part of the forum for this question. I plan on doing some street portraits with a l/f camera, tripod and possible a portable light, would I be insane to do this without public liability insurance. I have staked out locations where I can tuck the light into the doorway of a closed business, thereby removing the tripping hazard, so that would just leave the tripod. I have shot many times in the street with tripod, without insurance, but this current project is new to me.

Thanks

Damian

(Shrek)

Re: Question about street photography and insurance

It depends where you are. Here in Canada (prov. of Quebec), my homeowners' insurance covers this sort of situation. But we don't have jury-awarded damages in the millions for spilling a coffee. Also, I'm not a commercial photographer by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't necessarily think that your proposed photo project is any more hazardous than many other activities you do daily, such as to require a special insurance above and beyond whatever personal liability insurance you would want while out in public. For instance, pushing a large, loaded shopping cart in a place with hundreds of people in cramped quarters, most of them wearing footwear that leaves the Achilles' tendon exposed.

I've been considering something similar, I am more concerned about being hassled by cops who assume I'm hustling people for money somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    It depends where you are. Here in Canada (prov. of Quebec), my homeowners' insurance covers this sort of situation. But we don't have jury-awarded damages in the millions for spilling a coffee. Also, I'm not a commercial photographer by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't necessarily think that your proposed photo project is any more hazardous than many other activities you do daily, such as to require a special insurance above and beyond whatever personal liability insurance you would want while out in public. For instance, pushing a large, loaded shopping cart in a place with hundreds of people in cramped quarters, most of them wearing footwear that leaves the Achilles' tendon exposed.

I've been considering something similar, I am more concerned about being hassled by cops who assume I'm hustling people for money somehow.
    Thanks for your reply, people in Ireland can be quite litigious although we're way behind other parts of the world in that regard. It's a dilemma alright, and a risk. Having an assistant might make it easier I guess as they could perhaps make people aware of the risk and direct them away from the equipment.

People do much more dangerous things than that such as riding bicycles on the pavement (note to Americans - the pavement is the bit you call a sidewalk).

I doubt that they have public liability insurance.

Steve.

I would make sure your things are insured and not worry about liability for the public.
    -Chris

What's the risk?
    What's the probability of the risk occurring?
    What are your potential losses as a result of this risk occurring?
    What would it cost you to mitigate this risk?

Are you a betting man?

It's a simple analysis.

Why risk it? If you're doing freelance jobs, it's a really good idea to have insurance. I have a business policy that covers my equipment (both at home and internationally) and includes liability insurance. It's pretty affordable and while of course it's cash I'd rather spend on film or travel, it's just a cost of doing business and I wouldn't risk my livelihood by not having it.

If it's just a hobby it's a different story I guess. But (at least in the US), normal homeowner's policies don't tend to cover professional equipment or activities. And if you do any freelance work at all, even your non-commissioned work could be considered professional activity.

Dear Noah, would you mind recommending the company you buy your insurance from? (Is that allowed?) It sounds exactly what I need.

Andrew

I got my insurance through a local agent here in the US. I haven't asked but I doubt they work internationally. I think you'll probably have to ask around if you're in London. I'll send you a PM though.