Thread: LF Camera with Gear Driven Movements

LF Camera with Gear Driven Movements

Not sure if I'm articulating the question properly but, are there any cameras out there in which the front tilt, swing and rise are gear driven??

Re: LF Camera with Gear Driven Movements

A number of cameras have been made with geared movements to some degree. Some are partially geared while others are fully geared. Do you want every movement to be geared or only some of them? Two good examples would be the Sinar P and the Arca Swiss M cameras.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by C_Remington View Post
    Not sure if I'm articulating the question properly but, are there any cameras out there in which the front tilt, swing and rise are gear driven??
    Well yes, there are a full set of geared movements on most of the higher end rail cameras. All movements but I'm not 100% sure all have geared tilt.
    Here's a list of such manufacturers - Arca Swiss, Linhoff, Sinar, Cambo and maybe Toyo GX II series but total guess on that. I'm sure there are other manufacturers that I'm leaving out but there is certainly no shortage of them on used market.

The only trouble is if your want is to find a full geared movement light weight field camera. There I think your about out of luck.

BTW-Most of these manufacturers also make full geared movement cameras in scaled down medium format to be used w/digital backs as well as medium format film backs in most cases.

Thanx guys. I'll prolly not take the camera out of the house (too chicken) so, rail camera is perfect. I would definitely like geared on front rise, tilt and shift.

in the dark since 1965

I have an old Conley 5x7 with the old one-each movements which are geared, and I have seen more complicated versions, but as to full movements at each end, not on an unmodified field camera. I'd bet you could find a catalog showing such, and modify what you find in the market.