Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod for Toyo 45c

Tripod for Toyo 45c

Hello,

I'm new to large format Photography and currently live in South Africa. ( Moved there from Germany.)
    I bought myseld a Toyo 45c and a Schneider 121mm Super Angulon lens. Now I need a tripod for the camera and I don't have to much money to spend on it. There is no ebay in South Africa but I found an interesting offering at a local classifieds website.

Its a Manfrotto 055B with Ball Head ( not sure which exactly) here is the link to the classfield:

http://www.gumtree.co.za/cp-cameras-...head-457705210

Can anyone give me an advise If this Tripod will work for the Monorailcamera ?

I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks.

Re: Tripod for Toyo 45c

I looked it up on the internet. What I found was that the tripod supports 13 lbs. I didn't find what the head supports. Your camera weighs 9 lbs. After adding a lens and factoring in the tripod head weight you would really be pushing it especially with the Schneider 121mm lens. I own the same lens and it is not extremely light.

I would look for a different tripod. You got to remember that when you rack out your bellows with a heavy lens you really need good support. This tripod is very borderline with your set up. If you are going to the trouble to shoot large format then you really need a quality base to mount your camera on.

Now for my personal opinion, I would not want to use a ball head with a monorail. A pan/tilt head is so much easier to use with a heavy camera.

I don't know what is available in South Africa. You might look for a used aluminum Gitzo.

I wish you the best.

Alan

I have a Toyo 45c and manfrotto 055 legs, but with a much sturdier gitzo pan and tilt head. It's OK for what I do, which is mainly portraiture, no long exposures or anything like that. I use it because I already owned it when I bought the camera, if I had to buy a tripod especially for the camera I'd probably go for something heavier.

Thank you Alan and Tobias for your advise!

I will go for a heavier tripod. Maybe I'll buy it online in Germany and have it shipped to South Africa.

It seems like there are much cheaper offerings in the US and Europe for used tripods.

Thanks again!

M

My Toyo 45C sits on top a Manfrotto Triman 028B and 229 three-way head.
    This set up also works well with a heavier 8x10 camera.

Not directly experienced with ball heads but I too would avoid using one with a monorail.

Good luck,
    Mat

Thanks Mat. That Tripod is also interesting for me because it's not very expensive ( especially 2nd hand).

I found a another good offering on a Manfrotto 075 (supports around 25 lbs) + a Manfrotto 141 Head that holds about 13 lbs.

Would you think, that the head could hold the camera and lens on this tripod?

M

The 141 is the older style three-way head, a very good product for heavy cameras.
    The 075 tripod is again the older version of the current 475 so a safe bet for handling view cameras.
    I would say, based on personal experience with similar Manfrotto gear, it would be a nice, steady,
    set up for a monorail camera.

(Unless you plan on doing a lot of field shoots, of course, in which case
    you should look into different stuff - carbon fibre maybe - but then again
    not a monorail camera either

Mat

I found this thread a few days back and would appreciates any help / advice may be given as I have a similar question.

I've bought a Toyo 45A II recently and is looking for a tripod that's reasonably lightweight, sturdy enough. I know the 45A body itself weighs about 6 lb, and I plan to use 90/105/180/210. After a bit of research I reckon that the FEISOL CB-50DC Ballhead and the FEISOL CT-3442 Tournament Rapid Carbon Fiber legs come close to what may meet my requirement. I'm trying to find out if there are members here who may be using or have used similar bundle and if so what's your experiences.
    Thanks, John

For my Toyo Field camera I am happily using a Tiltall tripod. This design was manufactured for several suppliers, including Leitz, over the years and is still available new. Try to find a US-made one. Plenty of them on eBay. They are fitted with an excellent pan/tilt head. A ball head will not suit your purpose.