Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "did i make a mistake...."?

Medium format evolving 2 Large pudentaineLf's Avatar

Re: "did i make a mistake...."?

Nice shots...it's hard to see the base detail but it looks like action, what was the shutter speed , or should I say the curtain speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    The curtain shutter is nice for using lenses without shutters. I used a magnifying glass as a lens on a Speed Graphic (see below). They are called "Speeds" because the curtain shutter could work at 1/1000 sec -- faster than shutters in lenses.

That's cool about the light saber...I might sell it but to tell you the truth I'm the type of guy that even if I don't use bulb flash, which I can tell you now I probably won't, my goal while I own this is to try to hunt down every piece listed on the metal navy inventory sign that's on the case. I did that with this Polaroid 100 that I bought, it was just the camera and the case but I made the mistake of looking at a cardboard insert that came in the case and it was a photo of all the things that were included at the time it was new...then to make matters worse I looked at the inside roof of the lid and all these elastic bands had the item that belonged there listed with part numbers. I never use the "wink light" I sue an electronic flash but there it is...I think there's a disease that covers that problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    $52 ? I'd say that's a steal for what you have in that case.
    As coisasdavida said the grafmatic holder ( 6 shots ) is a bonus if the septums are all there.
    Check to see if the focal plane shutter is intact ( not dry and krinkly ) I think what you have is a
    Anniversary Graphic and it may have a graflock back, press the 2 silver arms and slide the back off to check
    the focal plane shutter. Just don't do what I did and test fire the focal plane shutter without checking it's condition

Besides, your flash is the coveted graflex flash handle used by ILM for Obi-wan's light saber, if you decide not
    to do flash bulb photography toss it up on the 'bay and the fans will be all over it like white on rice !
    You might even get back the price you paid for the whole lot.

Do you have any experience with lenses that are in shutters...I bought this great old lens, and I thought it would just be a matter of unscrewing the flange and the lens being fee, but the aperture attached is making it hard from me to figure out how to take the shutter outer shell off, the shutter is broken and I would prefer to have the lens w/o the shutter but I don't believe it's possible in this case ( or maybe in any case) I defiantly want the aperture and being a newbie (and the fact that the shutter doesn't work) I don't know if the blades of the aperture are the same as the....no, they aren't because you shoot with the shutter. when the f stop is set...the more i think about it the more I think just use the whole thing and ignore the fact that the shutter doesn't work, no one else knows it doesn't work and who's gonna walk up on the treat out of the blue and ask "does your shutter work, you just look like the kind of guy that would have a camera with a broken shutter"
    I don't think so..."never mind "( in my best lily Tomlin baby voice)! Your thoughts?

Having a focal plane shutter opens up a larger selection of lenses that don't have shutters, just be cautious of it, I guess depending on how it was stored and the production run of the curtain material some will deteriorate faster than others, I have an Anniversary Graphic that dates to 1945
    and the shutter cloth is fine, but my RB graflex which is from the same time the curtain was crispy and I tore it checking it out.

UPDATE:

I ended up putting on a new lens board for $10 adding a lens for $20 (great lens shutter broken), adding a new back view door (free w/some 4x5 film holders I bought on eBay for $4), cleaning it up and selling it with 2 of the 4x5 slides for $145. I sold the case for $25, the Grafmatic 3 cell flash for $140, and then I still got to keep the Grafmatic 4x5 and about eight 4x5 film holders for myself. I NEVER would have known what the 3 cell was worth without you feedback. I ended up buying what I really wanted and some of you purist may cringe but it's what I like and that the Busch Pressman model "C".
    Many Thanks to you that helped me. Thomas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2002-12-08 12.00.00-5.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	95700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2002-12-08 12.00.00-6.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	95701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2002-12-08 12.00.00-7.jpg 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	95702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2002-12-08 12.00.00-10.jpg 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	95703

Quote Originally Posted by pudentaineLf View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Did I make a mistake buying a Navy surplus Speed Graphic 4 x 5 for $52. It comes with original case, a score of film holders and a flash!! But no lens, lens boards or shutter. I like projects and I've been wanting a 4 x 5 but couldn't afford it but I started looking at prices for lenses and shutter & I began to get discouraged and think I've made a mistake. I'm sure prices would be lower at a photography swap meet than on Ebay but I don't even know how to begin. Well that's not really true, I'm here and I'm told there are lots of DYI tutorials here. I guess I'm just looking to talk to some of you people that have actually done a project like this. I'm open to any kind of direction, advice, opinions or anything else that is informative or encouraging. I'd like to know what you think.
    -Thanks, Thomas

I kept the Grafmatic but look page 4 of these posts to see how I did with all the other stuff & photos of my 1st restoration job. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coisasdavida View Post
    I see a Grafmatic in the case. I've seen them sell here for anything between $75 to $120 depending on the looks of it.
    You could probably place a WTT and get the lens you need.

The FP shutter was in great condition, I added a lens board, sold the Graflok and replaced with a Graflex that was free,added a 127 Kodak lens with a broken shutter ($20) had a lens board made $10, checked the bellows & they were great,cleaned off the surface rust (it and I are in a coastal area, where you get this rust that's only surface, thanks to the camera gods that's all it was) cleaned and treated the leather.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2002-12-08 12.00.00-5.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	95704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2002-12-08 12.00.00-6.jpg 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	95705Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2002-12-08 12.00.00-7.jpg 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	95706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2002-12-08 12.00.00-10.jpg 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	95707

I sold the camera and 3 film holder for $145
    kept the Grafmatic
    Learned what a Graflock back was
    Sold the light Saber for $140
    The case for $25
    and kept about 8 4x5 film holders.

If you hadn't filled me in I would have gone this way, I wanted to especially thank you personally for your insight. I would have kept the flash and never used it, or eventually would have sold it for $25.. with out the help I got on this forum I wouldn't have known that I could use a lens without a shutter either which my buyer was quit happy with. Thanks Thomas

$52 ? I'd say that's a steal for what you have in that case.
    As coisasdavida said the grafmatic holder ( 6 shots ) is a bonus if the septums are all there.
    Check to see if the focal plane shutter is intact ( not dry and krinkly ) I think what you have is a
    Anniversary Graphic and it may have a graflock back, press the 2 silver arms and slide the back off to check
    the focal plane shutter. Just don't do what I did and test fire the focal plane shutter without checking it's condition

Besides, your flash is the coveted graflex flash handle used by ILM for Obi-wan's light saber, if you decide not
    to do flash bulb photography toss it up on the 'bay and the fans will be all over it like white on rice !
    You might even get back the price you paid for the whole lot.