Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 camera and 6x17 film back

Re: 4x5 camera and 6x17 film back

Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    But I believe that you need to add the 6x17 back for the Shenhao.
    I think they come with a back.

http://www.bhcamera.us/shenhao-tfc617.php

Just what I was afraid, that I will have to move to 5x7, with all5x7 to 4x5 adapters ...it makes system much more expencive. Also 5x7 are much harded to run by then 4x5. There is so much more 4x5 out there for sale second hand.

On the other hand I have some strange ideas in my head, that I would buy second hand wood 4x5 and try to modify its back to be able to get 617 without those 4 cm. In most cameras I see graflock is already some 1 to 2cm away from actual body, so if I could make custom back to add 617 back to the body without those 1 to 2 cm lose, then those 4cm I loose on 617 back will now only be half that, making focusing much easier. Thing is then, will I get whole image, becauise back would be much closer now,.... hmmm.....What to do.

Dont thinking about extra expencive ones, this one, I like : http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/045F1.html, and price is OK also.

Somehting that just crossed my mind, is it possible to attach 4x5 back to a 617 camera. As far as I know 617 cameras usually use different locks, right ?

Lachlan 717

I don't know how you're going to (re)gain the 40mm. It seems to me to be a physical requirement based on the roll film holder's depth. I guess that you could thin down the rear standard's thickness; however, I feel that this will reduce stability/strength.

Sometimes things are as they are because they need to be, and no amount of trying will change this…

As for attaching a 4x5 to a 6x17, you will really struggle with this, given a) lack of 6x17 cameras with interchangeable bellows and b) the physical limitation of having to expand the 6cm side to a minimum of 4 inches (minimum if you only want to shoot landscape format).

FWIW, I find taking both a panoramic camera and a "regular" format camera together a somewhat worthless pursuit. I feel that I compromise my ability to focus on one format, and that my images therefore suffer. I can only imagine how this image quality would drop further if I had to deal with a compromised camera as well. Again, YMMV.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    But I believe that you need to add the 6x17 back for the Shenhao. The Ebony comes with the Horseman 6x17 back, which no doubt adds greatly to the cost of the Ebony. Badger Graphics lists the Ebony for under $9,000, and the Horseman back for over $3,000. I understand that there are far less expensive 6x17 backs available, so it should be possible to get the Shenhao and one of the cheaper backs for under $3,000.
    kgm, PLEASE. There are people, such as myself, that own the Shenhao 617, not a matter of belief. The Shenhao comes with a 617, complete for ~$1600. One may argue whether it's as good as a Horseman back, but it's included. Please check for data before keep repeating information that is false.

BTW Richard. How are you satisfied with your ShenHao. Which particular 617 model do you have, would you buy it again. Is there something that you miss, compared to some other models. Shen Hao`s are much cheaper compared to some other models, is quality also cheaper. because from the photos they look just fine to me.

The Shenhao is my first view camera, and I have not used much movement except rise. I like it a lot though and I just ordered a Chamonix 4x5 F1. The camera is small and light (~3 lbs) and a pack with 4 lens and a bunch of film is under 15 lbs and I have hiked with that in the high desert. The Chinese models are generally much cheaper but from what I heard, they are quite good quality wise, especially for the price. i.e. if you have $$$, get the Ebony or whatever, but lots of pro photogs use the Chinese models as well. The Shenhao 617 (and the Chamonix 4x5) are also among the lightest cameras in their respective sizes.

I went this route, looking for a way to use shorter and longer lenses than provided for the Fuji GX617, and the ability to shift and eventually tilt a bit.
    I bought a Meopta Magnola (a Czech 5x7 Linhof Technika), to which a previous owner had added an international back, I think from Cambo, which I have abused to take either Chinese or Canham 6x17 backs. It is heavy and very solid, Magnolas have three screws where Linhof thinks two to be sufficient. Movements are limited, as it is a folding camera, but it takes 90 to 600 lenses. One problem is the limited diameter of the bellows front end, which makes it necessary to mount the rear part of large diameter lenses like the 600mm Nikkor from the back. The price to pay for ignorance and tightfistedness.
    It should be possible to do the same to a Linhof Technika, which is more common, if you are willing to mistreat such a venerable camera. Linhofs have more bellows extension, and a special device for focusing with wide-angle lenses. Hunting around in the usual places, you could probable get the parts for a "bitsa" for under 1000,-- Euro.

Christoph

Ok, I have made up my mind. I am going for the 4x5 with 617 back. I have already tracked down one 617 used back, hope I can get a good price on it. Camera wise I am still thinking on where to go.

Since used a more or less hard to find, at lest any good ones, I kinda nerrowed it down to this three, all new:
    Chamonix F1
    Shen Hao HZX45-IIA
    Shen Hao PTB45-B

I have made up my mind, so don`t try to convince me otherwise, it was hard to get to here. But I would be glad if you could give me some guidence about this three cameras. Bear in mind I don`t have a lot of money so have to stay within my budget. So if you are thinking of offering me or pointing me to some 9000$ cameras, please dont I can only look at them. I am also open to offers if you have some for sale.

FWIW, as I said, there's a Chamonix F1 on a plane right now coming to me :-) It seems to be better spec than the Shenhao, IMO :-) Although I think the SH is quite nice too. Don't think you can go wrong either case. With the F1, it *may be* easier to use the tilt w/ Scheimpflug effect, but I think the SH is priced lower.

Let me know when you get it, and please shere your thoughts with us/me.