Page 53 of 211 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Re: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Thank you Scott, now there is a strong way to start and practice!
    I'll try with my continuous lights so conditions will be the same each time!
    Thanks a lot for you help!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Schroeder View Post
    Mark, nice to see others work. Have you always subbed? My current glass cleaning technique might be of interest if it's because of lifting issues.
    Nede. Nice plate. I like the eyes. If you are having issues with exposure you should keep an eye on the development. Try to stop quite a bit earlier than you think. You end up with better contrast and you highlights don't go too far.
    I definitely never subbed my first 20-30 plates and lost a couple so I tried egg whites but that was too much work for too little success until Dana @ B&S recommended Silane and reason being the people I shoot really want an ugly pour I discovered, the uglier the better for most so now during final rinse I will actually peel bits and pieces from the edges and the silane really lets you peel without taking an entire corner. I forgot this step in the video but if this had been for someone I would have peeled the top corners and down the sides slightly or used my fingernail. It's weird but every perfect pour I did the person getting it asked " why isn't it all messy like some of the others" so I add a bunch of extra work trying to get ugly these days. I need some people that want it perfect, its so much easier. This one is what started the "I want it ugly!" frenzy....I have since removed it from their sight until I perfect a terrible job of developing which is really an art I'm finding

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mattiecolumn copy.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	101138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mattie.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	101139

But Im always up for glass cleaning techniques since thats the most terrible part of wet plate, I just use glass cleaner to get off the heavy garbage then the old annoying Calcium Carbonate and alcohol thing

It's interesting how people are drawn to the artifacts. I think it makes it 'un' real for them.
    I wrote this up awhile ago.

I'm sure someone has done this before but I thought I'd share my current process. After trying a number of ways to clean the plates I realized buffing is really the most important part. I'd clean a plate rather well and still see markings from it being stored against cardboard or something. Once I buffed it real good, they went away.
    I have always used a big stone file to knock the edges off. I realized I was over doing it when I was varnishing and you could see the 'channels' coming off where they gritty edges were.
    Having said all that, I decided to use modern tools to make this process, quicker, easier and best of all, better.
    A lot of this stuff are things I've collected over the years.

1)cutting the plate. I highly recommend the Morton portable glass shop. It just makes the whole thing got quicker and easier.

2)Grind the edges. I have a bench grinder from woodworking days. I use the white wheel but not sure of the grit. I just do a quick zip on each each on each side. It gives a nice edge that hasn't been a problem with the collodion adhering to (if it really needs that). It's plenty smooth and makes the plates nice to handle. This is tiny shards of glass flying around so cover your mouth with a mask or a bandanna.

3)Cleaning. I wipe off the dust/grinds from the grinder. I take a paper towel dampened with some grain alcohol and rub down the plate. I'm off the opinion that these steps are just to get most of the grime off and can be done quickly. Just make sure to get the corners and edges especially.

4)Buffing. To me, this is where it really matters. Hand buffing can wear you out quickly....So once again I decided to use modern technology and use a buffer with a terry cloth bonnet. The breath test quickly shows the effectiveness of this technique. However, it will buff/clean it so well eventually you won't even see your breath. Once again make sure you get the edges and corners. By breathing on them, you can see if you should buff a bit more.

5)Right before pouring the collodion on use a duster or a blower to remove any residual dust. If you want, you could do a quick buff once again. Pour the collodion and proceed as usual.

I'm all for staying with the 'traditional' ways of the process. However, if you have a lot of plates or not much time, this is a good way to make a tedious job quite easy. I might even go so far as to say it's superior to doing it by hand. Yesterday I had no lifting issues whatsoever. If a corner peeled from contact with the holder, it didn't continue to peel.

Nice, the wife will be very happy she doesn't have to work as hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Thanks for the video, really helps to see pacing and process.

Sooner, or more likely later I will try this.

Good choice in music.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henricus View Post
    Sweet. Music selection on the money.
    I like the video too Mark.

But I'm puzzled by the comments about the music. I don't know the song and I basically can't understand enough of the lyrics to tell if they might be related. What is the music and why is it a good match for a wet plate video?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Paschke View Post
    Here ya go SergiR...... to go along with the other zillion wet plate videos, this is how you do it when you just don't care much and need to take 6-8 in less than 2 hours. shot this for some friends that are always trying to explain it to friends
    aha. thanks i was looking through ipad and of course it didnt show up so i was all puzzled

I normally listen to Classical music all day, and I appreciate the representation of inner madness that some music can convey, as I imagine learning and doing wet plate can be pretty maddening. I have yet to take the plunge, I am saving my sanity...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post

But I'm puzzled by the comments about the music. I don't know the song and I basically can't understand enough of the lyrics to tell if they might be related. What is the music and why is it a good match for a wet plate video?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post

Heh.....well I am part of a couple of wet plate groups ( Collodion Bastards : Wet Plate of Questionable Parentage come to mind) / as well as have friends that enjoy the finer things in life like a little Rob Zombie which probably sniffed a little too much ether in his time and he's kind of colloidal if you asked me, I was going to use this track to spice up all the excitement of wet plate but it was a minute too short

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I normally listen to Classical music all day, and I appreciate the representation of inner madness that some music can convey, as I imagine learning and doing wet plate can be pretty maddening. I have yet to take the plunge, I am saving my sanity...
    yep! It's funny how many people have asked what song/artist it is, I thought everyone knew ole Rob and his antics. I've heard the same thing, listen to classical all day but still wanted to know what they just heard. Just trying to make a dumb video slightly dumber.......and maybe get a few toes tapping too!