Page 189 of 211 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2102

Thread: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Re: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Lea 3 is a sensitive collodion and part of the overall light was naturally quite strong natural light through the window.

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Punker View Post
    Very nice! How on Earth did you manage a one-pop exposure at only 400ws? That's some fast collodion! Or a lot of additional natural light?
    Using UVP-X and the B&S developer 1:3 (though for half the time they suggest), I have gotten as low as 160Ws with no additional sources of light. Just depends on what you're illuminating, how you're illuminating it, and the chemicals you're using. UVP-X plus B&S seems to be at least 3 stops faster than most people's collodion when "pulled" to 20" of development to have a complete tonal scale. At the recommended time, it's at least 6 stops faster but too contrasty/wetplatey for my tastes. More exposure and less development gives a gentler tonal scale.

UVP-X and B&S Developer 1:3 for 20"
    f/4.5 Tessar wide open
    900Ws into a 22" silver beauty dish about 30" from the subject plus 300Ws into a random 8" bowl reflector about 4 feet from the subject as fill.

Overall, this one is perhaps a quarter stop over-exposed, so I should have used less light. Before varnish, the very lightest tones wanted to run together, which means it's just a little hot.

20181230-1.jpg by Ty Williams, on Flickr

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Bougainvillea
    14x14 in
    Cooke portrait

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Tran View Post
    Bougainvillea
    14x14 in
    Cooke portrait
    An exquisite image!

Photographed with my new Voigtlander Petzval lens, using Wet Plate Collodion technique. Plate = 5X7 inches.
    Collodion: 3 day old Old Workhorse from UV Photographics, developed with John Coffer's standard positive developer, for 15 seconds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0A8CE4DB-7FA4-410C-9F6C-B68AA2DB5009.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	187544
    Last edited by paulbarden; 10-Feb-2019 at 18:24.

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    UVP-X and B&S Developer 1:3 for 20"
    f/4.5 Tessar wide open
    900Ws into a 22" silver beauty dish about 30" from the subject plus 300Ws into a random 8" bowl reflector about 4 feet from the subject as fill.

Overall, this one is perhaps a quarter stop over-exposed, so I should have used less light. Before varnish, the very lightest tones wanted to run together, which means it's just a little hot.

20181230-1.jpg by Ty Williams, on Flickr
    How did I miss this one?

I'm surprised by the power used for the lighting. I've always been of the impression that lighting requirements were a lot higher!

I like the slight "alabaster" look of this. Has a feeling of a roman sculpture.

Great work.

Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    How did I miss this one?

I'm surprised by the power used for the lighting. I've always been of the impression that lighting requirements were a lot higher!

I like the slight "alabaster" look of this. Has a feeling of a roman sculpture.

Great work.
    Thanks!

Yes, I seem to be able to use a LOT less light than most other people. I think it's a combination of 2 factors: the developer and collodion combination I use seem to be extremely synergistic and my wife and I have a good hard science and chemistry background so our lab technique is cleaner than what I've observed from other wetplaters.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Photographed with my new Voigtlander Petzval lens, using Wet Plate Collodion technique. Plate = 5X7 inches.
    Collodion: 3 day old Old Workhorse from UV Photographics, developed with John Coffer's standard positive developer, for 15 seconds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0A8CE4DB-7FA4-410C-9F6C-B68AA2DB5009.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	187544
    Love the blur with that lens, Paul! Lovely shot in general.

Here are a couple of interesting characters I met in the park the other day and their van. Sunny and then clouds and rain on and off threw off all my exposures that day. Everything a little overexposed (overcompensating).

5x7 tintypes. New Guy collodion. Coffer's positive developer. Top photo with a B&L 5x7 Tessar 1c f/4.5 and the bottom with an Osaka Wide Field 120mm f/6.3.

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    Thanks!

Yes, I seem to be able to use a LOT less light than most other people. I think it's a combination of 2 factors: the developer and collodion combination I use seem to be extremely synergistic and my wife and I have a good hard science and chemistry background so our lab technique is cleaner than what I've observed from other wetplaters.
    No problems at all.