Page 158 of 211 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 2102

Thread: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Re: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

These were all shot on a Cambo 8x10 setup my high school/art school is fortunate enough to have. I was a student there last year and also worked as the darkroom technician. Someone had prepared all the chemicals necessary for wet plate photography, but hardly ever used them. With the year almost at a close, they let me come in to "take care" of what chemicals remained - quite a generous supply of them! I shot several of the students on their lunch breaks or between class periods. These are three of my favourite ten plates.

wonderful! so glad the school invited someone in to make good use of things! no sense in simply 'disposing' of it!
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

bipin they are wonderful!!
    best, peter

Thank you for the kind words Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
    wonderful! so glad the school invited someone in to make good use of things! no sense in simply 'disposing' of it!
    Indeed! I made my first plate when I was 18 and a student there, at the time. A couple of us loved the medium, so we informed the instructors of how it could be done safely and effectively in a school setting. Two years later, I'm extremely happy that I could return and teach newcomers from a different class/year about the process!

And impressive to create a setup for the students to do so safely. Sounds like you had some open minded and understanding teachers, reminds me of my chemistry teacher.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Quote Originally Posted by photojeff3200 View Post
    Thanks for making the video! I love watching the work flow of other wet platers. You run you glass cutter through a bar of soap!? Brilliant, I'm doing that.
    Thank you Jeff,
    I just remove the excess of oil on the glass cutter, it's not soap

Quote Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
    And impressive to create a setup for the students to do so safely. Sounds like you had some open minded and understanding teachers, reminds me of my chemistry teacher.
    Coincidentally, the man who introduced me to this medium; Jim Kost (NSFW)https://www.flickr.com/photos/not_a_...sional_photog/ is a chemist. He is also a college instructor, though not where I attend. In any case, I feel extremely fortunate to have teachers that allow me to take things into my hands as long as I play responsibly. Without things like this, I really don't know where I would be with my art. It has influenced me to the extent that I've decided to build my own 8x10 for wet plate and x-ray film. So, on that note, here are a few more...

Enjoy!

11x14 tintype

please excuse flickr sharpening

420mm, 'Very' Old Reliable (going on 7 months old now I think?), 22 seconds @ f/16.

Very scattered cloud cover so the light was rapidly changing throughout the exposure. As a result I was stupidly staring into the sun watching the clouds most of the time I was outside. When I went back into my darkroom I was absolutely blind under the red light. I think I did ok with the developer considering the circumstances but obviously did not wash it off thoroughly enough. I am pleased either way.

I guess you should take heed of what mother told you, don't stare into the goddamn sun!

Brilliant result all the same, Alex. A great image.