Page 193 of 211 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 2102

Thread: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Re: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    You are really hitting your stride these days, Nick. Nice work!

It is my experience that if you store your Collodion properly (cool and dark) then it last far longer than much of the literature suggests. John Coffer states in his manual - specifically about the #7 for Negatives - that it is useful for maybe 2 months at most, and my experience clearly defies that statement. And yes - I did varnish the plates I made that day using year-old #7, and the varnish did NOT dissolve the collodion. It is also my impression that older collodion has much better contrast as it ages, which can be a plus.
    Thanks, Paul! The weather has been key to my success I think. I feel like we haven't had a day over 75F in about a month! I also think after 10 months at this I'm starting to 'get' it now.

I cannot believe that collodion didn't disappear when you varnished it. You need to start your own Mythbusters!
    Have you used the amino silane that Bostick carries as a collodion additive? 1mL per 100mL of collodion and it'll stick to glass like no other. Usually it's added when you make fresh iodized collodion but a friend of mine added it to 12 month old red stuff. Well, turns out it reverses aging just like acetone. It went from deep red to lemonade yellow overnight with a huge speed boost. Hopefully it keeps its glass-sticking properties. Could be a replacement for acetone in that regard, with the added benefit that it doesn't make fragile collodion even more fragile.

Ambrotype with Polaroid Miniportrait Camera with Hensel Tria 6000 flash in front and a Broncolor with 3200 Ws from the side ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anne5.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	191067

Quote Originally Posted by Punker View Post
    Thanks, Paul! The weather has been key to my success I think. I feel like we haven't had a day over 75F in about a month! I also think after 10 months at this I'm starting to 'get' it now.

I cannot believe that collodion didn't disappear when you varnished it. You need to start your own Mythbusters!
    Have you used the amino silane that Bostick carries as a collodion additive? 1mL per 100mL of collodion and it'll stick to glass like no other. Usually it's added when you make fresh iodized collodion but a friend of mine added it to 12 month old red stuff. Well, turns out it reverses aging just like acetone. It went from deep red to lemonade yellow overnight with a huge speed boost. Hopefully it keeps its glass-sticking properties. Could be a replacement for acetone in that regard, with the added benefit that it doesn't make fragile collodion even more fragile.
    I used Amino silane additive when I first started making glass plates, but soon gave it up after it somehow buggered up a batch of collodion, rending it useless. I found that a properly cleaned glass plate with edge subbing is perfectly capable of holding the collodion, and the amino silane is unnecessary. I rarely have a problem with collodion lifting off the glass. That Coffer #7 for Negatives I spoke of? I used it last night and again about 45 minutes ago, on glass plates, and it held on perfectly, right through final wash. I think this business about collodion aging is variable, and a lot of it depends on how its stored. For me, this year old collodion has been kept in a dark and cool place for 10 months out of the past year. As I say, there is an advantage to older colodion (as long as it still works): it has great contrast!

I used Amino silane additive when I first started making glass plates, but soon gave it up after it somehow buggered up a batch of collodion, rending it useless. I found that a properly cleaned glass plate with edge subbing is perfectly capable of holding the collodion, and the amino silane is unnecessary.
    Good to know. I haven’t had much plate peeling since I started cleaning my glass really well also. For my friend and I we just prefer silane (when we decide to add it) because we’d rather not use animal derived ingredients for subbing.

He did mention it leaves stringy deposits at the bottom of the collodion jar when added to old stuff. I’ve only ever added it to new stuff and that was only one time so I’ve no experience with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like!

Great model and cool setup.

Quote Originally Posted by schlicksbier View Post
    Ambrotype with Polaroid Miniportrait Camera with Hensel Tria 6000 flash in front and a Broncolor with 3200 Ws from the side ...

Tin Can

Fantastic!
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

I've discovered that there is about 40 minutes between 7 and 8 PM where there is a change in the light in the back room that is a happy blend of bright specular light and fluttering shadow. Making use of this window (in both senses) results in pieces like this one. I like where this is taking me. 5x7 tintype, using very old "Coffer's #7" collodion, developed as a positive. Unbranded 5x7 camera fitted with the Voigtlander Petzval lens.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails voigtlander.golden.c.01c.jpg  

Very slick!

Like!

How long was the exposure?

I've discovered that there is about 40 minutes between 7 and 8 PM where there is a change in the light in the back room that is a happy blend of bright specular light and fluttering shadow. Making use of this window (in both senses) results in pieces like this one. I like where this is taking me. 5x7 tintype, using very old "Coffer's #7" collodion, developed as a positive. Unbranded 5x7 camera fitted with the Voigtlander Petzval lens.

Tin Can

"Mia." From my ongoing series, Tompkins Square Park Portraits. 5x7 tintype, Eckhardt 3B lens, 4 seconds @ f5.6

Name:	Mia Arbucci_sepia.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	191464