Page 208 of 211 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 2102

Thread: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Re: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Attachment 201184

I've been down with a cold for the past week, so I haven't exactly been enthusiastic to get out the Collodion and make plates (*cough*), but yesterday I could not resist!
    This is my first plate made with a new (to me) 300mm Darlot lens. This is an 8x10 inch glass negative made using Quinn's Collodion recipe for negatives. It was a bright afternoon and the UV was streaming in, so it was a very fast exposure for a negative: 10 seconds. The Darlot has no cut for Waterhouse stops, so this is wide open (approximately f4). I question whether or not this is really a Petzval lens (where's the edge swirl??) but I like its rendering A LOT anyway. I have to check to see if the rear group is assembled properly.
    A beautiful image. Usually to get edge swirl there has to be stuff like tree branches out beyond the focused plain. Things roughly in or near the plane of focus don't swirl much.

Attachment 201184
    I question whether or not this is really a Petzval lens (where's the edge swirl??) but I like its rendering A LOT anyway. I have to check to see if the rear group is assembled properly.
    There used to be an article by Alex Timmerman on the internets somewhere in which he demonstrated that the exaggerated swirl you sometimes see in images made with a Petzval is the result of an incorrectly assembled lens. A properly assembled one won't have as much swirl. Would post a link but I can't find it.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

The center of the image circle on a Petzval lens is pretty darn sharp. They were meant to be. The swirl that so many like comes from using a lens designed for a smaller format than that being used. Though, for example, a 5x7 lens will illuminate an 8x10 ground glass, the area outside of the 5x7 frame will fall apart. At least this was how it was explained to me, and it makes sense. Personally, the swirl makes me slightly nauseous, but clearly I am in the minority

Echeveria by Pau Martín, on Flickr

My first successful plate. It is a 8x10 tintype, shot with a convertible Symmar 300 at 5.6.
    Q.J. collodion with modified Osterman developer. My previous attempts suffered from a heavy fog,
    which I attributed to a too active developer. I changed the amount of acetic acid from 4% to 6%.
    Fixed with Ilford rapid fixer. Sandarac varnish.
    Best,
    Pau

Some pictures in Flickr.

Bravo!

I really Like!

Quote Originally Posted by pau3 View Post

My first successful plate. It is a 8x10 tintype, shot with a convertible Symmar 300 at 5.6.
    Q.J. collodion with modified Osterman developer. My previous attempts suffered from a heavy fog,
    which I attributed to a too active developer. I changed the amount of acetic acid from 4% to 6%.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Bravo!

I really Like!
    Thanks a lot!
    Best,
    Pau

Some pictures in Flickr.

Quote Originally Posted by pau3 View Post

Outstanding first plate, Pau! It has a very well-defined atmosphere about it, and the tonal values are tactile and thoughtfully rendered. You should be very pleased with this work. I look forward to seeing more!

Outstanding first plate, Pau! It has a very well-defined atmosphere about it, and the tonal values are tactile and thoughtfully rendered. You should be very pleased with this work. I look forward to seeing more!
    Thanks a lot for your kind words. They mean a lot coming from you. I am really flattered.
    Best,
    Pau

Some pictures in Flickr.

In a friendly circle of collodist photographers, we recently discussed the durability of various collodions. It is a well-known fact that Lea 3 is in the first place in this area. I have been using this formula for decades, and it contains only cadmiate salts. Mathew Carey Lea (1823-1897) himself wrote that this formula has a long shelf life (up to several years), which he somehow did not specify more precisely. other literature, however, stated the value "within two years."

This topic started to interest me a long time ago, but only from 2017 I started to consciously postpone a smaller amount (250 ml) from each mixture for further "research". I now have the oldest collodion 4 years ago, mixed on February 5, 2017, which I successfully tested last time in the autumn of 2020. Last weekend I did a few ambrotypes, so it worked perfectly, without changing color, consistency and, of course, photographic properties. and I haven't said that my recipe is not the same as the original. instead of ether and ethanol I use the same amount of isopropyl.
    I wonder when the breaking point will come. has anyone made you such attempts?

P.S .: I'm sorry for my bad English

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp202101.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	212765 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp202102.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	212766

Quote Originally Posted by jmpetzval View Post
    In a friendly circle of collodist photographers, we recently discussed the durability of various collodions. It is a well-known fact that Lea 3 is in the first place in this area. I have been using this formula for decades, and it contains only cadmiate salts. Mathew Carey Lea (1823-1897) himself wrote that this formula has a long shelf life (up to several years), which he somehow did not specify more precisely. other literature, however, stated the value "within two years."

This topic started to interest me a long time ago, but only from 2017 I started to consciously postpone a smaller amount (250 ml) from each mixture for further "research". I now have the oldest collodion 4 years ago, mixed on February 5, 2017, which I successfully tested last time in the autumn of 2020. Last weekend I did a few ambrotypes, so it worked perfectly, without changing color, consistency and, of course, photographic properties. and I haven't said that my recipe is not the same as the original. instead of ether and ethanol I use the same amount of isopropyl.
    I wonder when the breaking point will come. has anyone made you such attempts?
    I also have a bottle of Leah #3 that is now 2+ years old and still works well.
    Another very long-lived recipe I would add to the list is UVP-X from Brian Cuyler. I have found that recipe incredibly stable and still perfectly usable after 2.5 years (and still going).