Page 135 of 211 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 2102

Thread: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Re: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

I took the other plate from this session, my first ever plates, into get framed as a memento, which although artefact-heavy, will look great in the frame they proposed. I finally got photoshop and scan software back today so scanned the other plate, my second ever. Here it is. Again, technically awful but a memento from the occasion. I dearly hope I can improve.

I really like both of these Alex. The combination of the subject, the abstract 'overlay' and colouring really work for me.

Goofing around with tin types. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434237374.234064.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	135447

Erik quite scary but lovely plate
    Last time I messed up with a lifting emulsion so we shot the same concept again...It was a test with my new falcon eyes continuous light system and 9x 23w CFL 6500k bulb (will order some 80w bulbs to cut the exposure time)
    It's a 8x10 plate with 14s exposure and 14s dev with vinegar's recipe

Quote Originally Posted by cuypers1807 View Post
    I mostly shoot tintypes on aluminum but made my first 8x10 ambrotype today. I really enjoyed working with the glass.
    Good capture, draft horses and mules are very patient.

I rinsed this plate for 20 minutes with about 10 changes of water... still the sepia tone faded after ten minutes. Perhaps my wash tray is contam'd with fixer.
    Also, perhaps it's the cold weather but my first few plates from today had big hot spots where my thumb/fingertips were whilst pouring collod. Took me a couple of to figure out what was going on.

here's what I was talking about with the handprints... http://tinypic.com/r/2rp6vbs/8

although it may have also happened in cleaning, not sure... troubleshooting fun :P

Wow, I have never seen finger prints like that. Looks like you will have to hold it by the corner.
    What kind of temps are you working in? It also looks like wind could also be a factor in the way the collodion settled on the plate.
    Are you scanning these before or after varnishing?

One above was pre-varnish, one in the link was post-varnish.. yes I know they say to scan before varnish but I'm not really super fussed about web-sharing these plates at this stage until I get proficient enough.
    Yes it's very cold here. Temperatures below 10*C usually and quite dry. Thanks for the wind tip. I was pouring and letting it dry outside, I should probably step into shelter in future. That may very well solve the issue I've been having where the collodion is very dry in the middle and still quite wet around the edges where I'm guessing it's a little thicker. Today when I poured a plate I was watching it dry and noticed very quickly that the spots where my fingers were the collodion dried very much faster than everywhere else. My hands are probably very hot compared to ambient temp. to remedy this I now hold the plate from underneath with a flannel cloth. Stopped that handprint issue, also bought a suction cup today so will try that.

10C is right on the edge of working temps for the chemicals so you are challenging the odds at getting a clean plate. Don't let the collodion dry much at all. It sounds like your conditions are drying the plate too much before it goes in the silver. Check the corner you pour off the collodion and as soon as it dents to your touch get it in the silver immediately. Wind plays a huge factor. I have started a pour in dead air and had a gust of wind just freeze the collodion on the plate mid pour.
    I always scan before varnishing. I have compared scans of varnished to unvarnished and found that the unvarnished look better.
    It is way too easy to screw up the plate while varnishing.

8x10 tintype on aluminum:

10x12 black glass ambrotype

Visit Retro Atelier