Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Source 3d Printable Medium Format Pinhole Camera

Re: Open Source 3d Printable Medium Format Pinhole Camera

I've been ripped off better hard on ebay. I once sold a laptop as parts( not working), the guy striped the computer of memory and harddrive, then said it didnt work, sent it back striped and I had to refund his money.

I assure you if you do contribute to a camera it will be fulfilled or full return of your money.

Sweet, so you want other people to fund your hobby? I should try that. I'll start a kickstarter to buy myself film.
    -Chris

Sort of but not exactly, I'd rather people contribute to the development of a open source camera and receive a camera in return. Try it out, cant hurt to much, a lot of people are raising a lot of funds for film projects.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewd View Post
    After I finish this one I will convert it for larger formats and 35mm.

The film advance mechanism is very solid, it consists of 4 parts, the top of the body , knob, the knob washer and the spring. The spring is a torsion spring that fits tightly around the knob and the arm of the spring fits into a slot in the top of the body. So when you advance the film it loosens the spring and allows it move forward, and when you let go it tightens and doesn't allow backwards movement. It allows very tiny adjustment, like factions of a mm, with no backwards movement. This part has been printed and tested when I had access to a 3d printer. You can download the parts here.
    Do you have a full up working prototype ?
    I'm just curious as how it'll hold up in real life use, most inexpensive desktop 3D printers
    don't use the strongest plastics, considering that the advance mech will take the brunt of
    the work I would say that acetal plastics would hold up better than ABS.

Ponzi scheme (from Wikipedia): A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that pays returns to its investors from their own money or the money paid by subsequent investors, rather than from profit earned by the individual or organization running the operation.

By definition, then, a crowdsourced project is not a Ponzi scheme.

They could be fraudulent; they could be ethically questionable; but they're not Ponzi schemes.

I'm not endorsing the OP's project in any way, and I don't need a pinhole camera. But I don't think there is anything inherently wrong about what he's doing. $1600 is not a lot of money to ask in return for hundreds of hours of work trying to perfect something like a working camera system.

Here's a Kickstarter project that I jumped on immediately and ended up helping the guy in the process enough that he mentioned me by name in acknowledgment when the project was funded.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...r-instant-film

The guy was awesome in responding to input from all of his backers, and as you can see, he put in a TON of work to get this thing going, and a TON more to make it near perfection. The idea itself is exciting (3x4 Instant film TLR? COME ON!!!), and what's being asked for it is chump change, in view of, say, what you'd need to spend to get yourself a Polaroid 180 with an OK Tominon lens. Considering the guy got close to 200% of what was his original goal, he may walk away from the project with a little change in his pocket. And I say all the power to him.

What the OP is presenting here is a "product proposition". Like all crowdsourced projects, what's being asked is for potential customers to chip in to the R&D process. Acquiring a personal 3D printer is essential for something like that (I should know... I've been fooling around with a few little projects using Shapeways, and the turnaround time is a killer). What should be judged is whether or not you can find the proposed product exciting enough and the proposed form of the deliverables satisfying enough for you to cough up the dough, not criticizing the (possible) motives behind it. IMNSHO.

What I find much more egregious is a full-blown corporate entity like Lomography to use crowdsourcing to raise R&D costs:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...anner?ref=live

:P

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Do you have a full up working prototype ?
    I'm just curious as how it'll hold up in real life use, most inexpensive desktop 3D printers
    don't use the strongest plastics, considering that the advance mech will take the brunt of
    the work I would say that acetal plastics would hold up better than ABS.
    I have a working prototype of the film back that includes the winding mechanism. If it did eventually wear
    down the plastic where the spring rubs the plastic, it'd be a easy fix by taking it apart and making the spring
    a little tighter. I'd say the film advance mechanism is the toughest part of the camera. The weakest part I'd
    say that still needs a little work is the part that holds the film because it has to flex a little to allow the film
    to be put on and alot of flexing over time makes plastic alot weaker.

Thats a pretty neat tlr, is he going to release the plans for the laser cut parts to the public?

Quote Originally Posted by matthewd View Post
    I have a working prototype of the film back that includes the winding mechanism. If it did eventually wear
    down the plastic where the spring rubs the plastic, it'd be a easy fix by taking it apart and making the spring
    a little tighter. I'd say the film advance mechanism is the toughest part of the camera. The weakest part I'd
    say that still needs a little work is the part that holds the film because it has to flex a little to allow the film
    to be put on and alot of flexing over time makes plastic alot weaker.
    Like I mentioned before 'home' 3D printers don't use the best plastics, especially when it comes to moving parts
    that take stress. Med format cameras have been around for more than half a century,
    get one and see what they did, 90% still work to this day.

Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Like I mentioned before 'home' 3D printers don't use the best plastics, especially when it comes to moving parts
    that take stress. Med format cameras have been around for more than half a century,
    get one and see what they did, 90% still work to this day.

Best of luck to you.
    I have quite a few, I got the ideal for the film advancing mechanism from one.

Thanks

One could probably design a body and pinhole aperture etc. that accepted and interfaced with a 120 back from some common MF camera. That would make most of the film support and transport mechanism strong, readily available, up to the task and, if the right model were selected, pretty inexpensive.