Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Source 3d Printable Medium Format Pinhole Camera

Open Source 3d Printable Medium Format Pinhole Camera

Hi I just started a indiegogo campaign to fund the development of my design for a 3d printable medium format pinhole camera. You see it here. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/op...amera/x/490700 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	90825

Re: Open Source 3d Printable Medium Format Pinhole Camera

I'm curious, how are you going to secure light-tightness? I just found out recently the hard way that, e.g., the Black Strong Flexible material available from Shapeways is pretty much translucent, at least at 1 mm thickness, and completely useless for photographic work that requires seal from light without some kind of postprocessing.

I found that three thin air-brushed layers of mat black paint on the inside of the "natural" 3d material is light tight.

This is let "someone else Do It", rather than D-I-Y!
    We have had these approaches before - how is this different from a Ponzi scheme?

I've printed test parts in black pla at 3mm thickness and with a full infill setting and it was completely light tight by itself.

If you have a printer it will be a diy , especially when you make the springs and bellows.

I really don't see how its related to a ponzi scheme, ponzi schemes usually involve financial invest for financial gain. On my campaign you could buy a pretty low price camera and receive a camera with alot of features you cant normally find for as cheap as this.

In spite of all the words (like "open source" etc.) you use, this is still a selling activity you are engaged in.

This has no place here and I hope the Moderators are active to-night!

If this is a medium format camera and not large format I'm curious as to how
    you're going to address the longevity of the film advance mech ?

Well it's not Ponzi that I can see. It's not LF though, and it is in an LF forum. I really don't know the rules for things like Indigogo and Kickstarter and such here, but I don't see anything wrong with the idea whatever the particular local rules are.

After I finish this one I will convert it for larger formats and 35mm.

The film advance mechanism is very solid, it consists of 4 parts, the top of the body , knob, the knob washer and the spring. The spring is a torsion spring that fits tightly around the knob and the arm of the spring fits into a slot in the top of the body. So when you advance the film it loosens the spring and allows it move forward, and when you let go it tightens and doesn't allow backwards movement. It allows very tiny adjustment, like factions of a mm, with no backwards movement. This part has been printed and tested when I had access to a 3d printer. You can download the parts here. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11057

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filmmech.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	90863
    Picture doesnt show the spring or the knob washer/bolt that is press fitted.

Indiegoogo says this about fraud in campaigns on their site:

Indiegogo has a comprehensive fraud-prevention system to protect our users. All campaigns and contributions go through a fraud review, which allows us to catch any and all cases of fraud. If we find fraudulent contributions on your campaign, we may remove them from your campaign Funds and Fulfillment pages. We may also ask you for more information, if we determine your campaign to be a high fraud risk. Finally, all campaigns that raise money go through a final examination before any funds are disbursed.

Indiegogo requires campaign owners to fufill their Perks as a part of our Terms of Service. Perks are manged solely by campaign owners; we do not guarantee or take any legal responsibility for Perk fulfillment. Contributors can use our Terms of Service as a document in the court of law, should you choose to take legal action against a campaign owner for failing to fulfill a Perk. In general, contributors are advised that they are contributing to an idea, not making a purchase in a store. Like anyone contributing to an early-stage project, you accept the risk that the project might not come to fruition. We leave it up to you to make your own judgment about the merit of a campaign before making a contribution. Fortunately, the democratic nature of crowd funding makes it easy to judge a campaign's likelihood of success. In order for any campaign to be successful, campaign owners have to put thought and effort into their Pitch and convince a crowd of people to support their cause. Campaigns that are not transparent with their goals and project status tend not to attract contributors.

How you can report a fraudulent campaign:
    If you see a campaign that you believe to be fraudulent, you can inform us immediately by flagging the campaign as prohibited content. Simply click on the "prohibited content" link located beneath every campaign's Perks, or send us a note at support@indiegogo.com.
    My colour highlighting.
    I doubt whether Indieagogo has the manpower or inclination to get involved in disputes - sounds like Ebay!