Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free Saltzman 8x10 Enlarger

Re: Free Saltzman 8x10 Enlarger

Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
    I have to know......how much did it cost to move that thing ? And How many people did it take ?

I decided I couldn't part with it after all (the one in NYC, not Montreal) - I'm going to get it back to perfect condition and reinstall it.
    Regarding moving it, when I bought it 30 years ago, I was told to bring 6 strong guys to get it out of the darkroom where it was auctioned and it required them all. I'm going to separate the chasis, column and base plate to move it this time.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
    I have to know......how much did it cost to move that thing ? And How many people did it take ?
    It was moved from Maryland to Massachusetts. The truck rental if I recall correctly was about $600, but I loaded other items on the truck, so hard to say what the amortized price was for the enlarger itself. I had the enlarger on a custom built wooden "crate" with dolleys under it. I was able to load it onto the truck myself with a tackle/pulley arrangement affixed to the truck, but I didn't have to get it from vertical to horizontal position. That process had happened a few years earlier and originally took four big guys to help me with. Weight of my twin column Saltzman is 1300 lbs, however by taking off the restitutional easel and other component, I got it down to about 1100 pounds. Unloading was worse than loading. The best way to describe the unloading process was like landing an airplane. Pilots will tell you that a good landing is nothing more than a controlled crash

cheers,
    Mark
    http://wwww.aardenburg-imaging.com

Quote Originally Posted by nselkirk View Post
    I have an 8x10 Saltzman enlarger that is going to the junk yard if no one picks it up from my place in New York City.
    Hi are you still giving out the enlarger? I'm a photography student at nyu and i've fallen i love with the process of making prints. Please tell me you're still giving it out, would really love to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by kenji View Post
    Hi are you still giving out the enlarger? I'm a photography student at nyu and i've fallen i love with the process of making prints. Please tell me you're still giving it out, would really love to have it.
    As he says above:

Quote Originally Posted by nselkirk View Post
    I decided I couldn't part with it after all

one can always harbour a little hope

Great beginners enlarger....

Les

Kenji, if you look around CL you can find one at reasonable price. There is a 5x7 enlarger that I saw advert locally, couple of days ago.

Les

Hi Kenji,
    I decided to keep it and am having it restored.
    Neil.

FWIW, if anyone is interested, I know of an 8x10 Salzman enlarger available in Chicago. I believe it's free, but can't guarantee that until I talk to my contact again. And anyone who doesn't know that many of the above posts are tongue-in-cheek should know that a Salzman weighs in at about 1500 lb and stands about ten feet tall. It is immense. You'd need a group of people and a truck to dismantle and move the thing. Still, it's an amazing piece of equipment and I'd take it myself if I didn't a) live in a small apartment and b) intend to leave the country in a year. PM me if you're in Chicago and might have an interest in it.

I bought Saltzman 8x10 enlarger from NY to Shanghai 2 years ago.
    $150 for the professional crating~
    $700 for freight.

It's a giant metal machine.
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/