Thread: Xtol Failire - Still a Problem?

Xtol Failire - Still a Problem?

Xtol sounds good on paper and I was thinking of giving it a try 1:1 with Tmax 100 4x5 in an expert drum 3010 on a Jobo CPP-2. However I’d hate to get hooked on it only to find out that it still has the sudden failure problem that I have read so much about. Has anyone out there been using it successfully, without any problems since Kodak fixed the bad batch and packaging problems? Thank you.

Has anyone out there been using it successfully, without any problems since Kodak fixed the bad batch and packaging problems?

Absolutely. XTOL 1:3, Tri-X, 3010 drum on CPP-2. I mix it with distilled water, and store the stock solution in old wine bottles with VacuVin stoppers. Never had a failure.

Bruce Watson

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Since Kodak has discontinued Xtol in the small bags, I've bought a small bucket for mixing. I use it 1:1 or more dilute, depends on what I'm up to. I like to use it 1:3 for pushing 400 to 1600.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I've never personally experienced this xtol failure thing. Probably because I only used the 5 litre packages. When I used Tmax 100 in the past I used xtol straight, 1+1 and 1+3 in BTZS tubes. Tmax 100 and xtol were made for each other. Then I discovered HP5+ about 6 years ago and......well, that's another story.

So Andrew - what's your favourite brew for HP5?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Never had a problem with Xtol at all. It is an excellent developer.

I had some reservations about trying it due to all the reports of failure. I've never had a problem with it at 1:1 or 1:2. In tightly closed glass bottles I've let the stock sit as long as a year and it works fine. I've been very pleased with it.

lazy retired bum

I've used it for a few years now, in the 5 liter packs in a large spigoted container with a floating lid. I did have problems with the 1 liter packages (now long discontinued). I use it 1:2 with the T-Max films and my biggest problem has been finding grain on which to focus in medium and large format film.

Hi Tim,

Now my favourite brew for HP5+ is Pyrocat-HD especially stand development. I've used just about every developer, store bought and made from scratch, that I could get my hands on. Settled on Xtol then gave it up for about a year when pyro developers came storming back. Tried rollo-pyro ('cause I use BTZS tubes) but gave that up after a year as I didn't like how the negatives printed on VC paper. Went back to Xtol thinking why'd I ever stopped using it. Then last November I read the pyrocat-HD article by Sandy King at unblinkingeye and thought I'd give it a whirl. I was very happy to see that the negatives printed beautifully and can still intensify the negatives in selenium if needed and I can print with an unsharp mask. It's incredibly economical compared to Xtol, too. I'm still using the same batch I mixed back in November. Tim, if you are using HP5+ what's your favourite brew?

"Tim, if you are using HP5+ what's your favourite brew?"

I prefer to use rotary processing - I use Xtol for a lot of films, but for whatever reason (and I tried most things) I could never get even development with HP5 & Xtol.

Right now I'm really getting to like DD-X + HP5 - very nice. 1:4 or 1:9
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog