Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens at around 600mm - 840mm with image circle of 52inch

Overworked and Underpaid Guy

Lens at around 600mm - 840mm with image circle of 52inch

Hi, I am planning on an easily dismentable 2m x 2m x 2m dark tent with an opening infront to mount a lens for a 32x40inch wet plate. (Due to time and budget, I am putting 1.5yrs for the plan) I am scouting around online for a budget lens of that range with image circle of 52inch. But most lens listed do not list the image circle and those legacy lens are like having no documentation on lens design or any other details. Looking at the photo to even guess the lens design and estimate the image circle doesn't feels comfortable for me. BTW, I am not planning on a pinhole, but just wondering if anyone knows of a lens in this range with that image circle size?

Re: Lens at around 600mm - 840mm with image circle of 52inch

You want a 600 that covers 95 degrees, an 800 that covers 80 degrees. I fear me you've defined lenses that don't exist. Good luck.

If you can use longer focal lengths, a 1200 or an 1800 Apo Ronar might do. so would a 70" Apo Artar. Here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goerz-70-inc...-/321075626801 is a 70" Apo Artar. Good luck.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

... so would a 70" Apo Artar. Here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goerz-70-inc...-/321075626801 is a 70" Apo Artar. Good luck.
    I pm'd the seller asking if he had 2 of these. I'm of a mind to construct a giant stereo camera. At a mere $24K for the lenses, why not?

Actually I am looking at process lens and at 890mm APO NIKKOR (dialyte). But still sourcing in B&S and Evil Bay hoping for a steal.

Lachlan 717

What about one of the single maniscus lenses Rienhold (?) sells?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Look for a Rapid Rectlinear. I would get the largest rapid rectilinear you can find, then take out the front element. You probably won't get the coverage you are dreaming of, but you can adjust the size of your plate down to whatever coverage you do end up with.

Otherwise, I'd be looking for extreme wide angles, like an RD Gray no. 9 or 10. Good luck finding one, they are cataloged but never seen that large. Even the largest Protar V won't cover what you want....and would cost thousands. I would not use the words "cheap" or "on a budget" anywhere near this kind of endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    What about one of the single maniscus lenses Rienhold (?) sells?
    I dropped a mail to him. I notice in his site, the largest is 500mm, anything more could be custom. The reason for looking at a 890mm apo nikkor is that it has the image circle in 1:1. Lets hope Rienhold reply me with good news.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Look for a Rapid Rectlinear. I would get the largest rapid rectilinear you can find, then take out the front element. You probably won't get the coverage you are dreaming of, but you can adjust the size of your plate down to whatever coverage you do end up with.

Otherwise, I'd be looking for extreme wide angles, like an RD Gray no. 9 or 10. Good luck finding one, they are cataloged but never seen that large. Even the largest Protar V won't cover what you want....and would cost thousands. I would not use the words "cheap" or "on a budget" anywhere near this kind of endeavor.
    Thanks for reply, will check out on it. Trying to assemble everything on a budget as I am not earning anything more than a passion out of it. If you read my status, "Overworked and Underpaid Guy".

Quote Originally Posted by WootSK View Post
    I dropped a mail to him. I notice in his site, the largest is 500mm, anything more could be custom. The reason for looking at a 890mm apo nikkor is that it has the image circle in 1:1. Lets hope Rienhold reply me with good news.
    Interesting. What magnification do you intend to work at?

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by WootSK View Post
    He's advertising 1000mm somewhere at the moment. Have a look for that, perhaps?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky