Thread: Mounting prints: to the backing board or the mat?

Remember to take out the trash

Mounting prints: to the backing board or the mat?

When using t-hinges to mount prints, should I mount the print to the backing board, or the mat? Most guides say backing board, but mounting to the mat brings the print ever so closer to the mat - whether that makes any difference I don't know. Mounting to the backing board seems slightly easier from workflow perspective.

Is one way preferred over the other?

Re: Mounting prints: to the backing board or the mat?

I was always under the impression, and have been doing it this way, that you mount the photo to 'mountboard' which is matboard and the backing board goes behind that in the frame for protection and rigidity. Perhaps just semantics. If the setup is framed well the over-mat should be pressed solidly against the glazing and thus against the mountboard, shouldn't it? Not sure how it could get closer?

Not quite on topic to your question but I've had some issues with this method. It is nice and easy but I have had some prints start to warp a tad bit like some people warn of. The metallic paper from Lightjet and equivalent places is very easy to spot when it is not completely flat. I've found printing a size or two larger and having excess paper under the over-mat helps to keep it flat instead of having just a smidgen under the over-mat.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

The picture is mounted to the backboard. The mat board lays over the backboard. How would u even mount the pic to the mat lard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitz View Post
    I was always under the impression, and have been doing it this way, that you mount the photo to 'mountboard' which is matboard and the backing board goes behind that in the frame for protection and rigidity. Perhaps just semantics. If the setup is framed well the over-mat should be pressed solidly against the glazing and thus against the mountboard, shouldn't it? Not sure how it could get closer?

Not quite on topic to your question but I've had some issues with this method. It is nice and easy but I have had some prints start to warp a tad bit like some people warn of. The metallic paper from Lightjet and equivalent places is very easy to spot when it is not completely flat. I've found printing a size or two larger and having excess paper under the over-mat helps to keep it flat instead of having just a smidgen under the over-mat.
    There's no difference to the approach as far as I can tell, that's why the question As mentioned in the OP, mounting to the backing board is easier - but if there's a compelling reason to mount to the mat, I'd consider it.

The prints are quite a bit larger than the mat window, so glad to hear that there's some added benefit from that.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Remington View Post
    The picture is mounted to the backboard. The mat board lays over the backboard. How would u even mount the pic to the mat lard.
    Simple: by attaching the t-hinge to the mat instead of the backing board. It requires larger print than the mat window, but I think most people do that already.

Although it is a common practice in frame shops to tape the top edge of the print to the back of the window mat, it is not good for archival reasons. On the other hand if it is just an inkjet print for yourself that you can reprint whenever you want, then go ahead.

Depending on the size of the print, you can mount to the mounting board with archival corners, leaving the print free from tapes which may damage.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Although it is a common practice in frame shops to tape the top edge of the print to the back of the window mat, it is not good for archival reasons.
    Jon
    If you're using all archival materials, why would this be a problem?

Say the owner needs to re-mat the photo, can you really take the tape off without damaging the print?

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Although it is a common practice in frame shops to tape the top edge of the print to the back of the window mat, it is not good for archival reasons. On the other hand if it is just an inkjet print for yourself that you can reprint whenever you want, then go ahead.

Depending on the size of the print, you can mount to the mounting board with archival corners, leaving the print free from tapes which may damage.

Jon
    The biggest prints are 100cm x 125cm (40"x50"), don't think corners would get the job done..

If they are that large you could consider mounting them to aluminium using rice starch. Although I only see colour photos on your site.
    I like the look of Baryt prints mounted wet on aluminium.