Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jobo heater failed

jobo heater failed

The heater in my CPP-2 seems to have given up the ghost. Is this something that can be easily repaired by myself? Assuming I can get the appropriate parts that is!

アナログ侘・寂

Re: jobo heater failed

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    The heater in my CPP-2 seems to have given up the ghost. Is this something that can be easily repaired by myself? Assuming I can get the appropriate parts that is!
    Try shops which service washing machines (or dishwashers) or provide spares - you'll probably find an appropriate replacement heater there...
    I'm not sure the faulty one can be repaired, just get a replacement one. Shouldn't be too expensive.

retrogrouchy

And by replacement, it doesn't need to be physically identical. Just be able to fit into the jobo fully submersed and have the same power and voltage - if you get a heater of a different power then the PID loop will be wrong so it may either not reach temperature or it may oscillate.

Are you sure the heater failed?
    Have you checked the over heating protection fuse and reset it?
    There are also several internal fuses that might have blown, and could just be replaced.

If you find the element itself has failed (a fairly rare thing) - we have the heating element in stock if.

East Coast USA, 2 blocks down on the left

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Are you sure the heater failed?
    Have you checked the over heating protection fuse and reset it?
    I second this. If you've not tried to reset the thermal overload circuit breaker, do so first (that little recessed white button). Good luck!

Uhh - I don't see any recessed white button or fuse. Any clue where to look? Would be easier if I had a manual I guess.

It probably is an overheating issue - I turned it on last night and figured it would take a while to come up to temperature so I went in the other room to mix the chemistry. When I took the bottles out to take in the other room the water level apparently dropped below the pump pick-up and I didn't catch it and left it running for 30 min or so with no water circulating.

Photographer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan-130222-0001.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	89952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan-130222-0002.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	89953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan-130222-0003.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	89954

Here's a few scans that might be helpful with the circuit breaker and fuses. The circuit breaker location is shown in the third photo on page 10.

I burned out my heater a few years ago and it was very expensive to repair. If your drain valve doesn't shut off completely, I'd suggest you replace it. It will be a lot cheaper than a heater, assuming you can recover from this incident. You can buy a Jobo-type drain valve on Ebay. I think the Jobo valve is pretty crappy and I fabricated one from parts from the plumbing and garden departments at Home Depot; cheaper too.

Good luck.
    Keith Pitman

Hi Keith. Thanks for the service info

I wonder if I have to take the lift off to get at the switch - I don't see anything in the spot where the manual shows a circuit breaker switch.

Also - everything seems to be working except temperature control - the temperature display is lighted and functioning. The manual page you sent had a note that the temperature display wouldn't light if the circuit breaker or fuse was tripped.

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Hi Keith. Thanks for the service info

I wonder if I have to take the lift off to get at the switch - I don't see anything in the spot where the manual shows a circuit breaker switch.

Also - everything seems to be working except temperature control - the temperature display is lighted and functioning. The manual page you sent had a note that the temperature display wouldn't light if the circuit breaker or fuse was tripped.
    On my CPP2, there is a 1/4" hole on the left end of the Jobo. On mine there is some sort of black label above it. The reset switch is inside the hole. Poke it with the end of a pencil. Hope it works. By the way, I have a piece of plastic tape over the hole to keep water out.
    Keith Pitman

Jim,

The reset button is part of a small assembly that often moves out of place making it inaccesible from the outside, and will require you to open the housing to get at it.

Though the manual says the fuse will kill the display in some cases everything will seem to work except for the heater itself.

Opening the housing is simple, however the reset fuse on older machines, especially ones that spent their lives in higher humidity areas become oxidation and frozen making it hard to operate even when it is in the right position.

You will need to remove the lift, remove the 4 large nuts holding down the control head, and take it out of the trough.
    Then remove the six small screws connecting the top and bottom half of the housing.

You will see the reset fuse right away.

See if you can reset and report back.