Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: processing drum question

processing drum question

I've never had problems with my unicolor processor before, but I've been working on developing a big stack of film and I've been getting marks on some sheets that seem to jive with the ribs on the inside of the tanks---one or two very narrow clear "spikes" about 1"-1-1/2" long coming from the edge of the sheet---like the emulsion is gone! I'll try to post an example later on. The only thing I
    ve done differently is that the inside of the drums weren't completely dry since I didn't want to spend time letting the dry air-dry in between developing, but the tanks were rinsed with clean water in between batches. I can't imagine plain water lifting the emulsion though.
    Any idea what happened? I've got 4 such marked negatives so far and I don't want to loose any more.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: processing drum question

Are you putting the emulsion toward the outside of the drum? I hope not, but that is the only way that the ribs could effect the emulsion in this manner. What you may be seeing is the result of the film sticking to the wet ribs thus not allowing solutions, including water, to reach the base and removing the anti-halation layer. A solution to loading a damp tank is to fill it with water and load it completely wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Are you putting the emulsion toward the outside of the drum? I hope not, but that is the only way that the ribs could effect the emulsion in this manner. What you may be seeing is the result of the film sticking to the wet ribs thus not allowing solutions, including water, to reach the base and removing the anti-halation layer. A solution to loading a damp tank is to fill it with water and load it completely wet.
    Thanks Jim! I know I load with the emulsion facing the inside of the drum--as soon as I remove it from the holder it goes into the drum so in order to get it turned around I would have to have loaded it in the film holder emulsion side down as well. I'll try filling the drum with water before loading tonight's batch and see what happens.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I've been processing b/w films using a Beseler drum on a roller base. I can fit four 4 x 5 sheets in the drum. I put the film in so the emulsion side faces inward. I also found that I sometimes got light leaks through the filling spout if I was not careful, so I rigged up a cover which fits over the end of the spout and that has taken care of that problem. Otherwise, I seldom have any problems if I am careful, but if I get careless, the film sheets sometimes can slip over one another and one sheet may not get developed throughout.

What size film and what size drum are you using? How many sheets at a time are you processing?

One sheet of 8x10 film in an 8x10 print drum----same as I've used for years. This is a new development (see what I did there?) I've got the first sheet of the night rocking and rolling in fixer right now so I should see the resuts in a few more minutes. Then I'll put the next sheet in a full drum and see whats shakin'

OK no marks on sheet number two (under exposed though) Sheet number two---no marks!

Two more negs botched from uneven developement I'm seriously thinking of going back to trays or maybe a used Jobo.

I've never had damage in the Unicolor roller and drum.

What manufacturer made the film? Once I got some Efke sheet film that was defective from the factory. Mushy, uneven development. Could be your case, too.

I never could get consistent, flaw free results from print drums (I used Bessler, Unicolor and Chromega). I finally bought a jobo. I still do 2 5x7s in an 8x10 drum but even that is kind of dicey.

On the other hand, you sound like you've done well for a while...