Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Hasselblad back on Wista 45

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    26

    Hasselblad back on Wista 45

    So I asked about a back for the fuji peel-apart films (not 4x5), and the guy at my local camera store told me, that it is possible to convert the medium format polaroid backs to fit my 4x5. Has anyone here tried it? I have taken all the screws out, and now it is just a plain polaroid back. The opening in the back is almost the same size as a 4x5 sheet, and it can slide in behind the ground glass. How do I not mess up the distance to the film plane?
    Victor Knötzel - http://victorknotzel.com

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,254

    Re: Hasselblad back on Wista 45

    Wista makes an adapter to convert the standard Wista back to a Graflok back. Linhof makes an adapter to covert any graflok back to accept Hasselblad V backs. With these adapters no film plane conversion is needed.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    26

    Re: Hasselblad back on Wista 45

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Wista makes an adapter to convert the standard Wista back to a Graflok back. Linhof makes an adapter to covert any graflok back to accept Hasselblad V backs. With these adapters no film plane conversion is needed.
    It does have a Graflok back, It's the metal field camera, not a wooden Wista. But with a V adapter, it will only expose a small 6x6 part of the film. Since the back is just collecting dust at home, I thought it might be possible, instead of buying a PA-145 or a polaroid 405 holder.
    Victor Knötzel - http://victorknotzel.com

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,254

    Re: Hasselblad back on Wista 45

    Quote Originally Posted by victorknotzel View Post
    It does have a Graflok back, It's the metal field camera, not a wooden Wista. But with a V adapter, it will only expose a small 6x6 part of the film. Since the back is just collecting dust at home, I thought it might be possible, instead of buying a PA-145 or a polaroid 405 holder.
    A Polaroid pack holder will fit under the gg on a Wista with a spring back and a 45 Polaroid holder will fit any Wista 45.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    26

    Re: Hasselblad back on Wista 45

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    A Polaroid pack holder will fit under the gg on a Wista with a spring back and a 45 Polaroid holder will fit any Wista 45.
    Yes sir, do you think it is possible to build one out of a hassie polaroid back? Any tricks to measure distance to the film plane?
    Victor Knötzel - http://victorknotzel.com

  6. #6
    Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    2,959

    Re: Hasselblad back on Wista 45

    Quote Originally Posted by victorknotzel View Post
    Yes sir, do you think it is possible to build one out of a hassie polaroid back? Any tricks to measure distance to the film plane?
    It is entirely possible to build a direct adapter from the pack back to the Graflok, but you will probably come out ahead in money and time spent to buy the commercial product (405 or PA-145). If you know a good machinist who is familiar with cameras, then take the problem to him. This is a non-trivial project, but you can do it. What you need to do is read up on machinist measuring tools (depth guage) and things like that. Japan Exposures sells the PA-145, and also has used backs for a bit less.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    26

    Re: Hasselblad back on Wista 45

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    It is entirely possible to build a direct adapter from the pack back to the Graflok, but you will probably come out ahead in money and time spent to buy the commercial product (405 or PA-145). If you know a good machinist who is familiar with cameras, then take the problem to him. This is a non-trivial project, but you can do it. What you need to do is read up on machinist measuring tools (depth guage) and things like that. Japan Exposures sells the PA-145, and also has used backs for a bit less.
    I just measured the depth as good as i could do it. Looks like the film plane is 2mm away from the edge of the holder, so adding a 3mm piece of plastic on top of this would make it work, or does this sound too easy to be true? If this and a thin metal dark slide is all there is to it, the 15000 yen for a used holder seems a bit too much
    Victor Knötzel - http://victorknotzel.com

  8. #8
    Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    2,959

    Re: Hasselblad back on Wista 45

    It could work just fine, I don't know. It needs to be light-tight (of course), but that tolerance for a good, sharp image is very small. If you just want an idea of what the exposure will be and you're OK with some fuzz, then you'll be fine. If you want a sharp image, then you need to use a depth micrometer for your measurements, and a milling machine with that sort of precision.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •