Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Right to photograph buildings

(Shrek)

Re: Right to photograph buildings

Just take the photos, and plead ignorance if you're stopped. Try not to block major walkways, or try not to shoot when students are rushing between classes. I don't know if shooting early AM would help, as there wouldn't be any students to bother, but then you would have the undivided attention of the campus police force. Sunset might be safer, especially when the kids are busy partying and security is otherwise occupied.

I wonder how the Harvard Photography students handle those restrictions? Or if they have any?
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Students would not be in the same category as the public at large that is unrelated to the university so I think no issues.

Next time I'm in Cambridge I'll take my Super Graphic and tripod over and take a few photos just for fun.

Les

Weird that they have this goofy rule for "outsiders" with a large camera, while the cell-phone clicks continue. Hmmm, maybe it's time to befriend a photo student from the campus, eh ?

Les

The only time I've ever been hassled by a security guard, was whilst on the opposite side of the street, shooting a building within a private shopping complex in Melbourne. A security guard from the complex wandered across the road to me (and my conspicuous red-bellowed Graphic View) to ask me to stop making photos. I answered politely that I believed I was in a public area and had every right to be there, and he sort of invaded my personal space - I didn't respond to his aggression, but remained firm but positive (it's great being older and more sensible!), and eventually he walked off and said 'I'll allow you to make one photo' - ridiculous. Later I sent a cheery email to the Melbourne Film Office (Local government filming permits agency) asking for clarification of my rights, and they sent me a very nice email back saying they'd been in contact with the shopping centre, who apologised profusely to me!! I never did see that security guard again...

As for Universities, well I work in one (formerly in the property services division), and they required a permit for all commercial and otherwise obstructive filming and photographic activity (which makes sense really - they're just trying to manage daily operations), but for any other activity they could not care less. Most Universities in Australia are (unlike the US) public-owned, but campuses are still fairly tightly managed for the safety & security of students & staff.

Last weekend I freely wandered around QUT in Queensland with my Wista & tripod, making snaps of the old Government House and other interesting buildings on campus, and to my dismay(!!) nobody paid me ANY attention at all :-)

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/