Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Right to photograph buildings

Re: Right to photograph buildings

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    No one has the right to demand your film. It's called theft. Police can seize your film, but only if actually making an arrest.

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf.

Chris Jordan is my hero for his handling of this. When security guards demanded his film, he'd sheepishly reach into his pocket and hand them a 35mm roll. The guards never noticed that it couldn't have come from his 8x10 camera.
    In case anyone went as far as developing his film, the rolls contained 36 exposures of his hairy ass.

Sadly, the OP won't likely get this opportunity. Harvard is not like the industrial sites where Chris was trespassing.
    I know the laws, and having the cops haul you away during your shoot, only to release you three hours later as was the case of a friend of mine is rather counter productive. Plus wasting the time of law enforcement or security when they might better serve the public by being on guard against crime or hazards is not sensible either. Owning a camera does not give you more rights than anyone else or gives you the right to violate the rights of others by trespassing. There are countless photos out there, do we really need to lower ourselves to the levels of selfish and inconsiderate jerks for the sake of a photo?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

The OP is about the Harvard campus. It's as open to the public as any park. Regardless of the letter of the law, he'll be well within the spirit if he's just taking personal pictures.

If the world has had enough of your photos, by all means, don't trespass to make more.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    No one has the right to demand your film. It's called theft. Police can seize your film, but only if actually making an arrest.

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf.

Chris Jordan is my hero for his handling of this. When security guards demanded his film, he'd sheepishly reach into his pocket and hand them a 35mm roll. The guards never noticed that it couldn't have come from his 8x10 camera.
    In case anyone went as far as developing his film, the rolls contained 36 exposures of his hairy ass.

Sadly, the OP won't likely get this opportunity. Harvard is not like the industrial sites where Chris was trespassing.

Thanks! I'm updating my 'field kit' as we speak, with a couple rolls of unknown vintage 35mm film and an orange vest. I'm not going to waste my time taking pictures of my ass, hairy or otherwise, because I seriously doubt any of these rent-a-cops would know where to get a roll developed.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

You could always hand it to them with a prepaid mailer ...

In spite of the fact that people pay me for my photographs, so therefore I am also financially motivated, I don't feel that I should become a jerk and trespass on someone's property or violate any one's rights. If one's skills are so limited that they must do that in order to make a photo then maybe they are pursuing the wrong interest. Let's be real here. We are not talking photojournalists reporting some story for the greater good. We are talking hobbyists taking photographs for their own satisfaction. Surely they can do that while maintaining some degree of civility and integrity.

And what's interesting in this thread is also the disrespect for the security personnel and law enforcement. In this situation they are the ones in the right and it is their time unnecessarily being wasted and their purpose, of protecting the students and the school being subverted. How would any of you feel if some guy you didn't know walked on to your property and started taking photos of your kids? So seriously show a little respect for others and ask consent if you're going to photograph on private property.

And from another photographer's perspective, when the police or security, or a property owner feels disrespected by a photographer, it just makes life harder for the next photographer.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

We all agree, there is no need to be a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    Unbelievable. Do you guys really think you're going to get arrested and go to jail for taking a picture??? Geez. Grow a pair and go shoot.
    Best post EVER!!!

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post

And what's interesting in this thread is also the disrespect for the security personnel and law enforcement. In this situation they are the ones in the right (...)

And from another photographer's perspective, when the police or security, or a property owner feels disrespected by a photographer, it just makes life harder for the next photographer.
    Photographers didn't start the 'war on photography'. I have yet to meet a serious amateur photographer who has acted like an ass with cops or security guards just for the sake of being obnoxious. I have, however, been harassed many times by rent-a-cops who were completely ignorant of the most basic points of law regarding public spaces. I have also been stopped by professional law enforcement people while trespassing (caught in the act!), which ended with the cops suggesting several other local spots where I might want to engage in more trespassing. Go figure.

I live in Mass but do not do photography in Boston much with a view camera.

Waiting for security to arrive is antithetical to the whole LF process, I begin to think about their inevitable arrival and it interferes too much with the artistic and technical process for me so that I just don't do my best work there. The problem with Harvard in particular is that you would have to photograph it from a plane to avoid being on their property as they own that part of Cambridge. Ever since 9/11, security depts. have been ultra-alert in this regard. Informing security that you are not doing photography for professional purposes is appropriate, I have often said I just purchased a lens, etc and I am testing it, contacting Harvard beforehand would be good, but you may hear something you don't want to, and getting a name to give to a Harvard security person would be helpful too. Unfortunately, photographing privately owned homes, estates, etc in Mass even for a hobby is difficult as well.

Unfortunately, if you are driving, you will have a problem with some type of security or meter maids putting a ticket on your car. FWIW, though parking can be tricky, I have never had a problem photographing the Boston Skyline from Memorial Drive. I have done a lot of small format photography in Rockport, Mass as well, for the same reason.

If you ask someone's permission to shoot on their property and they say no, well be a grown up, learn to live with disappointment and find some other place to shoot. It's a big world.