Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: View Camera magazine problems.....update

multiplex

Re: View Camera magazine problems.....update

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    Never understood the demand for haste in the delivery of View Camera. Seems anachronistic considering the patience required for doing Large Format photography.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    i know what you mean ...
    i never had trouble when i had a sub ...
    and when mr postman put my issue through
    what seemed like a shredder, i called/emailed
    and was quickly sent a replacement without a problem ..

but i think the problems the OP and others
    speaking of are non(e) issues, not a late issues ...

I believe it was JFK who once said, "There is more to life than just increasing its speed." I began subscribing to the VC magazine only several months ago, and I agree with you and other posts that one has to accept that it will come when it comes, and that (I imagine) it's a relatively small operation (with a good tradition) that can only move so fast. Editing and producing such a magazine takes a fair amount of work and dedication, and the staff is to be commended and appreciated. ...
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Mine always shows up eventually. Only one time did I end up getting my issue only to realize that the previous had never arrived. I never did figure out who received in preference to me but they were very quick to send me a replacement.

:I sometimes suspect that the missing issues probably end up in the Post Office lunchroom, but no way to be sure.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    Never understood the demand for haste in the delivery of View Camera. Seems anachronistic considering the patience required for doing Large Format photography.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    Ha! That's funny. Of course, when you commit to the delivery of some framed large format prints to a gallery for an exhibition and don't follow through with that commitment because of some contempt for timeliness or inability to care for that commitment - somebody is going to be upset, and rightfully so. -Chris

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    :I sometimes suspect that the missing issues probably end up in the Post Office lunchroom, but no way to be sure.
    I think that a lot. Many days I see my postman sitting in his truck, in the shade of a big tree, taking a well-deserved break and he is always reading a magazine. I wonder whose magazine, and what his favorite topic is.

When I was living in Japan I subscribed to VC and PT. Suddenly I wasn't receiving either magazine. After about a year, the magazines were sitting outside my door in a box. Someone in my building was taking them out of my letter box (in the lobby) and reading them. At least I got them back, dog-eared and well thumbed.
    Nowadays I buy VC at a local bookstore. PT sucks now. That used to be a great magazine. IMO

Posted per Steve Simmons request:

Dear Roy Futternick

Yes, now that we know your name, and since you seem to want a public discussion of this matter, please indulge me.

Yes, you have been a longtime subscriber. During your subscription you have had multiple addresses and we have always done our best to get you your magazines. Why you are suddenly claiming to have problems receiving them is a mystery to me as we seem to have your last known address.

As far as being slow to get you your refund let me point out some realities. Since getting your name, remember, for a long time you were making posts here, and still are, without telling anyone who you are, we have sent out over 150 copies to new subscribers so they could get a copy within 2-3 weeks of their new subscription. We have also sent out almost 200 copies of our last issue to renewing subscribers who missed an issue before they renewed. The bulk of these were orders that came in before we learned of your identity. We have also sent out about 50 of our Tech Series CDs and several of the Tech Series books. Again, the bulk of these came in before we learned of your identity.

We have also gathered materials for our next two issues, so we could get issues out as this is our primary responsibility.

You will get your check. I just failed to understand the urgency of this matter. My apologies

Regretfully,

Steve Simmons, Publisher

Before getting into LF photography i bought maybe half of the issues in a local bookstore. After buying my first LF camera i have subscribed to VC and only once did i not get the magazine. Within a week after emailing Andrea i had a fresh issue in the mailbox.
    It is unfortunate that some subscibers don't get the magazine sooner or later after it is shipped from the publisher.
    That said, i work in a tech support environement and if the communication the VC staff receive is just on par or even twice as good as some of the communication i receive they would still be scratching their heads.

Mr. Steve Simmons, Over a month ago you finally replied to my e-mail. The following is the answer I received from you: "The Nov/Dec 2012 issue is on its way. We will refund you for anything
    after that date and will also send you the Sept/Oct 2012 issue." I have yet to receive the September/October issue nor a refund. As far as my address being a problem, I've been receiving your magazine at my current address for as long as I can remember. I don't believe I've ever received your magazine at any other address. But why should any of this matter? You said you would send the September/October issue out along with a refund. And by your written intentions you acknowledged knowing my name and address. And you just found out who I am? Why don't you simply do what you say you will and settle this matter. I truly regret cancelling my subscription but what am I supposed to do? I missed two issues last year, you claim not to have received my e-mail inquiries regarding the March/April issue (well within your narrow time frame in order to receive another copy) and now I wonder if you'll follow through with your intention of sending the September/October issue and my remaining subscription refund. Just do what you said you'd do and let's get this matter behind us. Sincerely, Roy
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    Posted per Steve Simmons request:

Dear Roy Futternick

Yes, now that we know your name, and since you seem to want a public discussion of this matter, please indulge me.

Yes, you have been a longtime subscriber. During your subscription you have had multiple addresses and we have always done our best to get you your magazines. Why you are suddenly claiming to have problems receiving them is a mystery to me as we seem to have your last known address.

As far as being slow to get you your refund let me point out some realities. Since getting your name, remember, for a long time you were making posts here, and still are, without telling anyone who you are, we have sent out over 150 copies to new subscribers so they could get a copy within 2-3 weeks of their new subscription. We have also sent out almost 200 copies of our last issue to renewing subscribers who missed an issue before they renewed. The bulk of these were orders that came in before we learned of your identity. We have also sent out about 50 of our Tech Series CDs and several of the Tech Series books. Again, the bulk of these came in before we learned of your identity.

We have also gathered materials for our next two issues, so we could get issues out as this is our primary responsibility.

You will get your check. I just failed to understand the urgency of this matter. My apologies

Regretfully,

Steve Simmons, Publisher

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Oy veh.